Help chosing a color

eebrs

Question

I'd like to make a lapghan for my MIL, but I'm not sure what color to do it in. I want to do a solid color. My husband and I thought about beige. Then I looked at old photos and it looks like her whole LR is shades of brown (see picture). Should I try to find a non brown color to compliment the room, or stick with the beige idea? Any suggestions?

I didn't plan on starting this for a while, but since Michaels is having a sale this might be the perfect time to buy the yarn!

ChristmasMillers136.jpg

17 answers to this question

Great thing about browns & beiges are they are neutral colors and will go with just about anything.

What is the "mood" of the room? I know that sounds a little weird but that can make a difference when choosing complimentary colors for instance is it a "cheery" or "relaxed" room

I agree the sage green would be nice or perhaps a yellow or gold?

I am sure whatever you decide she will love

I emailed my SIL who's living at home. She said the accent colors are pretty specific and would be difficult to match. So she recommended a shade of brown or beige. So, I bought Caron SS in Bone.

I was thinking a sage green or smokey blue, until I remembered that it was just because I like those colors!

there is a bit of those colors in the pillow. I love the smoky teals and browns with the pale pink accents... I would go with a smoky blue. you just cant go wrong! :D

If you chose to do beige, will it bother her if your beige doesn't match her beige?

I don't think so. She has so many shades of brown in the room that it probably would be just fine.

I'm probably putting more thought into this than I need to. She just has one of those houses where everything matches, there's never any cluter or dust, etc.

Does it have to be a solid color? The creams, browns, beiges look good with a dash of turquiose in it-ala Southwest. A lapghan is a personal thing, made especially for her-does it necessarily have to be a part of the room? Sometimes we end up with neutral colors around us and would really like to have a splash of color.

Glenda

does she have accent colors around the house maybe a soft rose or soft yellow even a soft white i think would be pretty

I'm not really sure, since the only photos I have to look at were taken at Christmas. She changes things around for the holidays. In her old house I know she did do a little bit of sage in her LR, but she has changed almost everything (carpet, couch, pillows, etc) since then.

If you want a pretty blend, try a natural looking green color, something that will say "bamboo forest" with those colors in the photo.

I've always thought pale pink is very fetching with dark browns.

Archived