Plastic Bags, Video tapes, Pulltabs..OH MY!

WendyLee,

Your suggestion about using "rafia" was right on the mark because when I was cruising through crochetmemories.com I saw a pattern for Free Form Dried Ornamental Corn using rafia. The rafia wasn't "crocheted", however; But it was used as the "shucks" on the top of a crocheted Indian Corn.

Just playing around with the leftover bits of bags left from making plarn, I found I was able to make large rings (shower curtain ring sized). I don't know what they're good for, but there they are!

~ Joy

I'll confess that I've crocheted human hair - while it is attached to the person's head! You need a patient person, and I've never done more than a few chains, but it is still a lot of fun.

I suppose you could crochet with long strips of bark - I used to braid it, and that worked fine.

Could you crochet with that long wheat-like weed? What about ivy or something? That might work, but it would sure be tricky.

I've used my fingers to crochet chains out of extension cords when I have been helping my Dad and bored. Same with computer cables.

I wonder if if you crocheted - carefully! - with cooked pasta and set it out properly it would keep its shape when it dried. Now I have to try doing that! That could be fantastic. Certainly a conversation piece. "What's that?" "A crocheted pasta sculpture." "Oh. Well. That's lovely? I think you need to go see the nice men in the white coats now, dear."

I have crocheted with string. I cut up an old, good quality vinyl bag that wasn't usable any more in the condition it was in. I made squares and punched holes along the edge with an ice pick and did a couple of rows of sc in each hole, then joined the squares together. I made a shoulder strap that was long enough to also act as the side gusset around the bag. This was many years ago. I guess I was ahead of the times, then.

Several years ago I crocheted an angel out of inexpensive curling ribbon (the type that you run a scissors or similar object and it curls up). I had gotten the pattern from a book in the library. Unfortunately, I don't remember the title of the book. The angel can be free standing or as a tree topper.

You know..I just had another silly weird crochet material pop in my head!

Inspired from reading the Jelly yarn thread in the 'Yarn Talk' section, and taking a look see at the website that goes along with the thread/jelly yarn..I thought maybe you could crochet edible licorice into edible bracelets for parties or whatever!! How cool is that? You've seen them at stores, but only in cherry, the licorice cords? Maybe they come in black too..you probably have to search it down though. It would be great for parties!! I may try this idea when we throw a party for the kids! :yay I think Twizzlers makes them...but not the regular ones, the cord like ones. ;):lol

how about old telephone cords, the kind that you plug into that funky shaped outlet. If you take the plastic off the top there are multiple color wires inside that would be nice, because they're colored and would hold their shape well.

I thought about the licorice as I was reading responses and then saw it!

How about tape? LOL It would certainly be sticky! But it comes on a roll! Maybe you can stick it to the carpet or your jeans for a second to get some of the stickiness off before crocheting it.

What about Felt? It's like fabric but a little stiffer and comes in tons of colors.

maybe a long strand of those feather boas? they are thin and you could use a big hook.

How about weeping willow branches with a big hook, or some monkey grass.

I wonder about straw and pine needles though...

VINES! Most people in the south have Kudzo, of course you'd need a strong hook for that, or you can peel off it's bark and peel it into long sections, and chain it into a basket. it gets real hard when it dries

i'm sure ribbons all kinds, have been mentions. I tried it once, but the pattern doesn't show as good because it twists once crocheted.

That plastic fishing thread could be another. Too bad it doesn't come in

too many colors. Could even crochet with long strands of hair!! I think about

my daughter whose hair is pretty long. I don't think she'd give any away though!!!

You know..I just had another silly weird crochet material pop in my head!

Inspired from reading the Jelly yarn thread in the 'Yarn Talk' section, and taking a look see at the website that goes along with the thread/jelly yarn..I thought maybe you could crochet edible licorice into edible bracelets for parties or whatever!! How cool is that? You've seen them at stores, but only in cherry, the licorice cords? Maybe they come in black too..you probably have to search it down though. It would be great for parties!! I may try this idea when we throw a party for the kids! :yay I think Twizzlers makes them...but not the regular ones, the cord like ones. ;):lol

I don't remember where, but I know I saw a pattern for edible crocheted underwear made out of the red licorice whips.

Linda Y

We are really getting some creative ideas now! I like the twizzlers idea for a childs party. Could make braclets with life savers beads!

Archived