How to Yard Sale

Okay, this may seem incredibly innocent, but bear with me.

I've never gone to yard sales in the United States. What are some pointers about finding good ones? Should I just drive around neighborhoods early Saturday mornings, or should I look in the local papers? When would a yard sale usually be advertised? In Friday's paper?

What about cash? How much is too dangerous to take? In your experience, do most yard sale operators accept checks?

Are there standard ettiquette rules about yard sales that I ought to be aware of?

~ Joy

Should I just drive around neighborhoods early Saturday mornings, or should I look in the local papers?

Most garage sales are two days...Fridays and Saturdays. If you can go on Fridays, do so. Saturdays are usually pick-over days.

You can either drive around or you can look in the local paper. I've done both.

When would a yard sale usually be advertised? In Friday's paper?

If you live in a big metro area, I wouldn't look at the big city paper. I'd look for sales in the small, suburban presses that comes out once a week.

What about cash? How much is too dangerous to take?

Whatever you feel comfortable taking. But needless to say, I would never leave your pocketbook alone.

In your experience, do most yard sale operators accept checks?

Again, I've seen it both ways. But for big ticket items, if you like it and they don't accept checks, they'll almost always put it on hold for a couple of hours while you run home or to a bank to get the money.

Are there standard ettiquette rules about yard sales that I ought to be aware of?

Everything is negotiable. :P

Good luck.

Just another idea to add to BeBop's excellent advice - before you buy something, BE SURE to have a place to put it. Yard Sales can become addictive, so lest your house LOOK like a garage sale, be discriminating and only buy something you have an absolute NEED for, or a place for it.

Also, be courteous about yards - don't cut through lawns unless you ask, if it's a neighborhood sale. The neighborhood you are in should be in the "class" of items you are looking for: if you're looking for rustic things, go out rural...

If you want dishes and china, look for a park where seniors live. ;) Just think about what you want, and where the person might live who has too much of it. :D

when i go, i wear a fanny pack with different compartments. i fold all my one dollars in one space 5 and 10s in another, and for emergency keep a twenty or two tucked away. change goes in the bigger compartment. this way you dont waste a lot of time, and your bills are separate for easy acsess. check online for local papers, ours is free that way. usually i check thursdays posts. if you see something you like , pick it up, too many times i have lost out that way. if i dont want it or see something else, then put it down.

I do agree on that if you want something, pick it up right away. Otherwise, it's gone in a flash. Get to the sales as soon as they open.

Out here, most sales are on Friday and Saturday, so they advertise on Thursday.

Plan out a route. Look up all the addresses and see how many are in the same area. I love neighborhood sales, where there are several on a block. Park the car and walk through the area. You will be surprised at the bargains.

Also, don't be afraid to haggle with the price if you think it is too high. Be prepared to walk away from the item if they say no. Or pay the high price if you really want it.

At a sale for an organization, don't haggle. Most people give all the profits to American Cancer Society, Children's hospitals, etc. It's a nice way to give to those organizations who really need the money. I help out at an ACS sale every year and people actually pay more than the item is marked because it goes to a good cause. For example: An item is $3 and they give you a $5 and say "Keep the change". It's very nice.

Also, if you have to shop with kids, don't expect to do a whole day's worth of shopping. They just can't shop that long. Bring snacks, drinks, and then promise a trip to the park afterwards. If they have their own money, make sure you know what they are purchasing. I have gone home with some pretty different things, shopping with kids.

Have a great time. For a while, my nickname was "Garage Sale Queen". I love them!

:manyheart

Take change and small value bills with you, most sellers can't break a large bill, and it's easier to haggle if you can pull out, say a $5 and ask if they'll take that for a $5.75 sale...often they will.

If you find someone selling something you really like in the way of clothes, ask if they will be selling again. A friend and I found a woman selling plus size nicer outfits, we talked to her and turns out she had just retired and was going to be selling off an entire work wardrobe...in our sizes. She was selling some every month, and we'd get there early. In fact, she started setting aside some stuff 'for us'.

Don't let the people see how much money you've brought with you - they're way less likely to haggle.

Have your NO answer already ready - some people are relentless when trying to sell their stuff. If they happen to be like that I put everything down and walk away.

If you buy a lot from one place, keep a running total in your head, make a pile and make an offer on the whole lot - it'll save you $5-10.

Don't worry about hurting their feelings or insulting their stuff if you make an offer for what you think something is actually worth. there was a 'nice' wooden 1/2 size book case that I was interested in. There was paint and marker and stuff on it. Obviously the guy had it since childhood. He said "Well, it's handmade - I'll take $25. I said "Well, it's in bad shape - I'll give you $5" Lost out on that one - not a biggie.

I did get a very cool computer desk (college room size so it was perfect for the dining room) for $15 bucks - origionally priced at $25.

It never hurts to ask.

Remember - garage sailing is supposed to be fun! I furnished and decorated my first apartment garage sailing and it was beautiful!!!

garage sales are fantastic! a few even start on thursdays. the best I have found are the neighborhood garage sales and they are usually advertised well! when you find one of those you can usually park and walk to many sales at one time. I like to take a lot of change with me to the sales because people always appreciate getting it and there are lots of little things that cost under a dollar and then you are not taking all of their change.

yard sales are addictive and I set a budget and that is the amount I take, when I run out of money, that is it! Otherwise, it is easy to get carried away!

Archived