my stuff is shrinking

noQcrocheter

Question

I have been crocheting about a year and I still have trouble reading patterns so I usually make up my patterns as I go, recently I started an afghan for my daughter with some super bulky yarn (sc with a q hook.) and it keeps shrinking, I may have to take the whole thing out any suggestions on how to keep it straight after I start over:help

7 answers to this question

Count the stitches in each row carefully. Are you chaining at the turn to allow for the first sc? Without seeing the problem or the pattern, that's about all I can offer. Keep at it, you will eventually see the problem - I know I always do after going over and over.

That's what I would think too. I did tha then I first started crocheting, missing the first stitch or even the turning stitch in double crochet, so I would have almost a triangle when done (great if I want one).

With a Q hook you should be able to count your stitches on each row with no problem as there won't be that many. If you don't want to do that, count every 5 rows then you don't have much to take out if you have to. And make sure you are getting that ch 1 to turn with, makes the first stitch easier to make in single crochet, and easier to see when coming back (becomes the last stitch on the next row).

Good luck.

Usually when I have a lot of stitches to count, I put in stitch markers every 50 stitches.

:cheer You dont really need to count your stitches as long as you have the right number at the start and put the first and last stitches in the right place.

When doing SCs, CH1 does not stand as the first stitch, you need to work the first SC into the very first stitch.

You can have the right number of stitches but still have crooked sides if you are adding a stitch at one end and losing one at the other.

:think Is your piece getting smaller at both sides?

If it is, you are probably losing a stitch at the beginning of every row so if you work into the very first stitch, you may find it starts to go straight.

:hook What I usually suggest is to work on only about 10 stitches as a test because it is the start and end of the rows which are the problem, not the stitches in the middle. This way you get to start and finish lots of rows in a short time and there is less to undo if you make a mistake.

Hope this helps.

PM me for more info is you need to.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

While I was learning, I found it was necessary to count them, so I could see visually that I really was losing a stitch at the beginning and/or the end (when counting, you can see how many you lost). That got me back on track when I was making all the pyramids/triangles too! :D You could be skipping the first one, if you chain then head over to the next. The chained one will just give you something to crochet onto when you're on the next row that'll go above there. :hook

I wonder if you're missing stitches in that super bulky yarn you're using. Can you see the stitches easy? If you can't you may be missing then anywhere in the row. That could be hard to see the stitches, even for an experienced crocheter. You may need to count and feel with your fingers, all the sttiches in the row.

If you can see the stitches in this bulky yarn, then this may not be the problem. But it could be.

Archived