Scrap Granny Square Afghan-different sizes

Grammie Essa

Question

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you have a pattern, or a suggested site for a scrap granny square afghan with different sizes of granny squares in it. I recently noticed one on an Ebay auction, but can't seem to find anything like it now. It was all different colors and all different sized of granny squares all put together in one big afghan. Do any of you know of a pattern like this???? Or what book or site I might find it in?? Just obsessing over it now......:eek

9 answers to this question

Interweave Crochet, Spring 2006, has such a pattern. It's called the "Babette Blanket." The afghan is made up of 2- 4- 6- 8- 10- 12-round grannies in all kinds of colors. Perhaps this is the one you saw on Ebay.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I think I have that crochet magazine, I will look thru the ones I have and see, that might be where I first saw it.

I may have to make a bunch of different sizes and put them together and see what happens!! Granny squares and quilting all rolled up into one!!! One of my grandmother's quilted and one crocheted granny squares, so this will be wonderful!!!! :D:c9

Hi,

Go To The Lion Brand Site. They Have A Free Granny Square Afghan That Uses Different Size Granny Squares All In The Same Afghan. I Hope This Is The Pattern You Are Looking For And Good Luck Making It.

Have A Safe And Happy Day.

Maggie

Thank you Maggie!

I saw that one. I was thinking of one with a variety of squares in sizes, similar to wendy's but maybe even more colors and sizes.

I saw one in a magazine that was really freeform. It was a variety of shapes, too! Triangle, diamond, circle, and then whatever would fit between then. As well as squares. Beautiful afghan, but I don't think I could do it, but maybe...

Debbi

I have on old "Better Homes and Gardens" Crocheting and Knitting book from 1977 that has such a pattern.

Basically, you can use any squares you like, as long as the smallest ones can be put together in such a way as they equal the largest ones.

For a freeform version, a pillow pattern in a different book has you putting together shapes of differing sizes and sides by going around the outsides of each shape with Hdc to get them more uniform, then joining. The whole piece is then edged, again, in Hdc. You could do the same for an afghan, I'm sure.

When you put your pieces together, just make sure that they'll lay flat when you join them, then join away.

Thanks everyone again!!! I found my Interweave crochet magazine and have that pattern. That will get me started. I love your afghan Wendy, that is terrific. I bet you did put alot of work and love into it. I looked at the lion brand pattern too. These are all great ideas, just what I needed to stop obsessing over the pattern I couldn't find on ebay!!

Archived