Project geting smaller

canucknurse

Question

Greetings. I've recently taught myself to crochet a little. Just single crochet at this point. I'm doing row after row of sc to practice and notice that the simple rectangles I do get steadily narrower. I can't figure out why. It's happened on the first three pieces I've tried. Am I dropping or skipping stitches somewhere. I don't notice myself consciously doing it.

Any suggestions? I've searched the archives but haven't found any responses to this particular problem.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

16 answers to this question

This was a great resource! I finally got the hang of turning and now have an evenly-spaced rectangle (counting helps, too since I apparently can't keep it straight without doing so). Thanks again!

:clapYou are welcome and good luck.:hook

Sometimes I still have a problem with tension. It depends on the "mood" I am in. If I am having a stressful day...it is better that I...put down the hook...slowly and quietly...put down the hook.:eek

Please post pictures when you finish your project.

This was a great resource! I finally got the hang of turning and now have an evenly-spaced rectangle (counting helps, too since I apparently can't keep it straight without doing so). Thanks again!

:cheer:clap CONGRATULATIONS! Success at last! I'm so glad you were able to get the hang of it and these lovely people here at the Ville are wonderful at helping! :hook

:fluffy:manyheart:hug

Hi, anybody can make mistakes. I've got a project that I've dubbed Penelope's Shroud because I've had to unravel it so many times, and often more than one round (it's a doily, it's not going to be rectangular). I think I'm finally moving forward with it, but you wouldn't believe how many different ways I found to mess it up. :blush

Oh yes I would!!! :wlol

but you're not allowed to ask how I might know this. :eek

Hi, anybody can make mistakes. I've got a project that I've dubbed Penelope's Shroud because I've had to unravel it so many times, and often more than one round (it's a doily, it's not going to be rectangular). I think I'm finally moving forward with it, but you wouldn't believe how many different ways I found to mess it up. :blush

Don't feel bad about this... I have been crocheting for 50 years and I still have to count to be sure I am hitting all the stitches. :sigh:wlol

along with tension getting tighter you may be dropping stitches on the ends when you turn - it's very easy to do subconciously in single or double crochet. try counting a row of stitches near the beginning of your item and then count again in a row where the pattern is noticeably smaller and see if the count is off:think

You may have crocheted your beginning chain too loosely and your work got tighter as you progressed. Try to make your chain a little tighter or work a little more loosely later on.:yes I hope this helps.

Hello. I am a newbie too. When I first started I had the same problem and it turned out that when I got used to the stitch I was doing it would get smaller because I was not thinking about the tension. Have you tried making the first ones a bit tighter than normal? I just experemented till I got it right. I sat down for a few hours and learned all my stitches and how to do them evenly. It was a bit frusterating though. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Tara :hook

Archived