Beginners Book Suggestions?

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I hope I'm posting this question in the right folder! :) I'm brand new to the world of crochet and I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions on books for beginners? I've purchased a couple of books but I'm looking for other suggestions. :)

The books I have purchased are:

• Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting by Kim Werker & Ceicily Kiem
  • Get Hooked! by Kim Werker
  • 10 20 30 Minutes Learn to Crochet by Leisure Arts

Thanks in advance!

I taught myself to Crochet recently and the only book I needed was "Stitch'n Bitch Crochet the Happy Hooker", Debbie Stoller also taught me how to knit a few years ago.

I also bought "The Art of Knitting & Crochet 2" DVD which was invaluable to me to visually see how to Crochet from the Crochet Guild President Nancy Brown. Also ther is a wonderful inexpensive Interactive CD from coats called "Crochet made Easy" which is wonderful.:hook

When I first started I used Crochet Made Easy. I got mine at Wal-Mart for a couple of dollars and it is a book that is about the sized of a sheet of paper folded in half. Has directions and pics on how to do the stitches, starting, finishing, joining, etc plus some patterns that are easy. Good luck!

getting beginner books may be encouraging but, for me, the only way I could learn to crocher was by doing it not reading about it. Sometimes I could not figure our what was going on until I tried it.

There are also some on line tutorials with animations that seem to be clearer than book directions.

Everyone learns differently, but for me I would not buy another beginner book but spend that money on a better quality (not expensive) yarn and go at it.

You might also want to try a couple or three different kinds of hooks to see what feels most comfortable to you.

Any way GOOD LUCK.

And I am glad you found your way to this site... I have found lots and lots of help here.!

getting beginner books may be encouraging but, for me, the only way I could learn to crocher was by doing it not reading about it. Sometimes I could not figure our what was going on until I tried it.

There are also some on line tutorials with animations that seem to be clearer than book directions.

Everyone learns differently, but for me I would not buy another beginner book but spend that money on a better quality (not expensive) yarn and go at it.

You might also want to try a couple or three different kinds of hooks to see what feels most comfortable to you.

Any way GOOD LUCK.

And I am glad you found your way to this site... I have found lots and lots of help here.!

Welcome to the 'ville!

It seems you've got plenty to start with. I know I get reallll insecure whenever I start something new, and I'll read everything I can get my hands on before I start.

But start already! Get out your hooks (you HAVE gotten those haven't you?) and your YARN, and start practicing what you see in the books!

I already know how to crochet, but I would like to learn to Knit hence I bought:

Basic Crochet & Knit- Illustrated

by Ondori

ISBN 0-87040-389-3

Distributed in US by KODANSHA AMERICA, INC. Through OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS

198 Madison Avenue, New York, NY10016, USA

I also have this one:

Lace for Beginners

Nihon Vogue

ISBN 0-87040-567-5

Distributors: United States:Kodansha International/USA, Ltd. through Farrar, Straus & Giroux

19 Union Square West, New York, NY 10003

Canada: Fitzhenry & Whiteside Ltd.

195 Allstate Parkway, Markham, Ontario L3R 4T8

I wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions and tips! I'm so glad to have found this site, it's been a tremendous help and everyone has been so kind and encouraging! I absolutely love it!

I plan to pick up the DVD that was mentioned, as I am a very visual learner as well. I picked up the happy hooker title and I've happily *finally* gotten the hang of the SC. I'm going to try one of the beginner projects out of that book this week and will let everyone know how it comes along. :)

Thanks again! :hug:yarn

i recommend Crochet for dummies. I had the basic knowledge but it taught me how to crochet in rounds and even how to read patterns. I let my soon to be SIL use it and she is crocheting up a storm. she picked up the book a skein and a hook and off she went.

I also like the Happy Hooker, has wonderful instructions. When I learned to crochet I used a lot of my grandmother's books from the 70s and they were really easy to read and to get the hang of the simple stitches and then I moved up to more current books.

I learned from the Readers Digest Complete Guide to Needlework (still published) over 30 years ago, but believe there are easier ways to learn than books, although the books definitely help.

There is actually a CD (one for knitting as well, Knitting Made Easy) called Crochet Made Easy for about $8. You play it on your computer and it shows you videos on the basics. I have seen it in Michaels, WalMart, etc. But if you can't find it locally, it is sold online by most of the "usual suspects"

http://www.herrschners.com

http://www.marymaxim.com

http://www.anniesattic.com (annie's has how to crochet videos right on their website, i think you need to download if you don't already have it a free program, quick time to see them.

I know Michaels on occasion offers knitting and crochet classes, most local yarn stores offer "tech support" when you buy the yarn and other supplies from them, also, I notice my local adult education catalog sometimes offers classes on knitting and crocheting.

A big thank you to everyone who's suggested some great beginner's guides to work from!

:) I really appreciate them!

I've recently picked up Happy Hooker and the Coats Crochet Made Easy CD. I've finally gotten the hang of SC & HDC.

:clap

I'm working on my first small projects (coasters & dishcloths) and hope to move on to other projects soon.

:cheer

Thanks again!

Archived