What do you think is the perfect size??

vonnie

Question

8 answers to this question

If you are doing a square afghan...36" x 36"...rectangle...28/30" x 34/36"...a round ripple...30" to 36".

These make it "useable" through toddler size. Depending on how much time/yarn you want to put in to it would be a factor to maybe go smaller or larger.

This is just my prefernce...

I agree. Approx. 36" square is good for a baby afghan. Whether you are making squares or making a one piece will affect the finished size.

If you are making squares, then the size of your afghan border and whether or not you are bordering your squares also makes a difference. How you are joining your squares makes a difference. A whipstitch join will not add any width and a sc border will take away width etc etc

It is hard to say exactly without more specifics, but generally speaking 36" is a good all around size which allows for growth and wrapping around if the recipient lives in a cold area.

Are these to use in cribs or bassinets? Reason I ask is that those are usually rectangular in shape.

I guess I'm a little off the beaten track because I don't use a ruler to measure my baby afghans. I usually use a repeating pattern and I measure my beginning chain by holding it up and if I can open my arms completely, then it is about the right size. I like making baby afghans bigger so they can be used from long after the baby stage and when my kids were babies, I would get irritated with baby blankets that I couldn't use past 5 months old. I often have people tell me that they use my baby afghans to lay on the floor and set the baby on it to play since my afghans are much larger than the "normal" sized baby blankets. That was exactly how I used mine and I loved them. It is a personal perference though and I'm sure they will be happy with whatever size you make for them. :yes

I'm sorry, but are you making baby blankets for the teen's babies or as little blankets for the teenagers?

If it's little blankets for the teens i would at least 4x3 before the edging. It also makes a perfect size as a comforter size for a toddler bed.

Or it's it's for the babies I would do at least 3x3 square or 3 ft round ripple - (probably closer to 42" than 36".)

I'm sure that whatever you make is going to be loved and treasured.

About the size of a receiving blanket is good, I think. They work great for when the baby is in the car seat.

These are baby afghans that they give to teen mothers, some of them don't have much and they give them afghans for the babies. The Teen crisis center is through the hospital and they give it to them when they go home.... I usually do the 36X36 size

Archived