Rug Along

Jimmie Lu

OOH! I am so wanting to join this! I have always wanted to crochet a rug and two of the patterns you have listed - the rustic rug and the Annie's Attic pattern would look great in my house, but I am so busy right now. What to do? :thinking

Oh well, what is it going to hurt to join one more CAL. It may take me awhile to complete it, but I am going to do it :yay I will have to get my wool together on Sunday and start sometime next week.

I may have to join in on this one. I started the Annie's Attic rug last year, but I've never taken the time to finish it. I will have to work on that one for this CAL and see if I can finally get it done!

Candy

Anyone making fabric strips from old sheets, etc. to do this? I would like to try this but don't want to sew all the strips together. I was thinking of knotting them (a "rustic" look is ok with me) or I wonder if I can just overlap them as I crochet. Any ideas?

Candy, Your rug looks great. Guess I am going to have to do that one too! I didn't get a chance to get my wool together over the weekend like I planned, but I intend to do that this morning, so I better get going now.

Well, I started my Annie's Attic rug yesterday and have already completed 1 strip. Candy, you are right, this rug does work up pretty quickly. I used black for my neutral color and it is looking good so far.

I want to use the rug in my entrancway. Seems like everyone takes their shoes off right as they come in the door and my wall-to-wall carpet gets mud and dirt on it. This will help protect it.

I will try and get a picture of what I have done so far tomorrow it I have time.

Jackie, I'm looking forward to seeing your rug pictures. Isn't the Annie's rug pattern fun to do? I haven't had time this week to work on mine, but I'm going to pull it out again this weekend for sure and see how far I can get with it.

Candy

Hi Everyone, My computer crashed last week and I have been waiting for it to get fixed. Finally I am back on line. I did complete 4 rows of my Annie's Attic rug and have started the fifth. It is really coming along quickly. I will try and get a picture online, but I can't seem to locate my granddaughter's camera. I will have to ask her where she put it.

Count me in, I've been wanting to make a rug for my friend since December, so not it is time! Gotta get some yarn for it though...that might take a few days.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is one of the rugs I did out of Grandmother Clarks Rag Rugs. This one I did out of Red heart yarn and is called the Colonial Rug. I also have one from this book started with rag strips, will post a pic of that one when it is finished.

DSCN1365.jpg

Krystal, that looks great, can't wait to see some of the others.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THIS THREAD, NOW I FOUND A HOME. Here is what I'm working on.

ragrug.jpg

I didn't realize this CAL was going... I just started and finished a rag rug the last couple of days (I got a little obsessive about it...) Just some old sheets ripped up and sc together in something of a rectangle.

ragrug.jpg

Krystal How did you make your rug look so tight? Mine you can see the floor below it.

Anyone making fabric strips from old sheets, etc. to do this? I would like to try this but don't want to sew all the strips together. I was thinking of knotting them (a "rustic" look is ok with me) or I wonder if I can just overlap them as I crochet. Any ideas?

When I was a kid (a bazillion or so years ago) a great Aunt used to come and visit. She always did rugs from fabric strips. I used to sew the strips for her on my Mom's old treadle sewing machine. Here's how she had me sew them:

Overlap the ends of 2 long strips at a right angle.

Sew across on a diagonal. (The seam is diagonal so the attached strips are straight - hope that makes sense)

Don't cut the sewing thread, just find the other end of the strip and attach the next strip in the same way.

When you have a bunch sewn, you can cut the threads between the joins.

Wish I could show you, it's not as hard as it sounds!

Oh, and my Auntie's rugs lasted for years and years! She made some oval, some round, and my favorite, a ripple.

Sue - :think I don't know! No, seriously - I just sc all the way around, used strips and a P hook.

Adriann - I didn't sew my strips. I just overlapped them about 4" at every join. IT's thicker there, and harder to work, but it was fine with me. I have some "loose flaps" where a corner of a strip has popped out here and there, so I just trimmed those.

All of your rugs look great. I made a "porch doily" a few years ago out of macramé yarn and have lots more and wanted to make another one, would that count as a rug to join the CAL? It is really hard to crochet and uses a J hook.......but I wanted to make another maybe this is the boast I need...

You inspired me to start and I started when no one had answer yet. and I am half done with it. I am doing the canon Cotton twists and the rug called Bernat Handicraft Cotton Twist Rug. I love the color and the way if feels. And i am impress with the pattern it looks very professional. Will post picture a little later.

Archived