Keeping gauge

Is it just me, or does anyone else have the problem of having to go down sizes in hooks to keep gauge.

Every crocheter I know says it's just the opposite. It's too tight so they go up a hook or 2.

Crochet is definitely a stress reliever for me so maybe I crochet loose because I am relaxed. Any comments?

Sheryl

I am new to crochet but the things I've made so far, I've had to go up a hook size. I am starting to loosen up but, boy, my stitches were really tight until someone told me about it! It really is more relaxing when I loosen my stitiches!

I can never get the gauge right...EVER! So I really don't pay any attention to it anymore. Whatever size the item I am working on becomes, thats fine with me.

But I like you, crochet loose. I agree it must be the relazation.

val

Well, I used to say I crocheted loose, but the last two patterns I've been too small on. Hmm.... The one is really easy to add the extra I need to, but the other, I've got to frog :sigh. Oh well, I was really hoping to get that one done last month for my mom. Luckilly I wasn't too far in. I read somewhere that you really should think of the hook mentioned in the pattern as a starting point and to just use what you need to use and not worry about it. But it does go easier if you crochet a little loose as opposed to a little tight...

I work mostly on afghans and stuffed toys. I just use the hook listed.

I tend to work tight and have yarn left over! But it's okay to have to change the hook to get the gauge needed.

With afghans I don't worry much about gauge, I just have to be consistent throughout the project, especially if it's done in pieces that need to be assembled. Or if I'm sending out specific sized squares for someone else to assemble.

I use more yarn than called for on most projects.

Sheryl

when it comes to afghans and things of that nature, i odn't have to wrry about the hook size or gauger much....very rarely will i have to change hook sizes when making garments.....i crochet middle of the road tension...not too tight and not too loose....

No only do I change the hook, a lot of times I will change the yarn weight as well to suit my needs for a pattern. I crocheted a large blanket for my Mother's bed last year. It was an ugly quilt with 29 different colors. Later I found out from my sister that it was too heavy for my Mother (82) to move it. When I was making a ghan for another senior lady friend this year, I choose to change the weight of the yarn to a baby weight. I changed the hook one size up as I do crochet tight. The gauge was perfect and the ghan came out great, too. And it wasn't too heavy to be moved around. Now I need to make one with that weight yarn for my Mom.

I don't have a problem with guage. It just is fine and I don't have to change hooks. I must just crochet at an even pace.

But I do think that it is a good idea to check every so often and see what is going on. Esspecially with very large items. We certainly know what happens if you start tight and end up loose on a larger afghan. And who wants to frog that much?

Here's some :hug :hug :hug for all those who have guage problems. At least there are ways to check and fix.

Good luck everyone.

:manyheart

Archived