Trouble working with LB Homespun?

lisaekh

I just bought my first Lion Brand Homespun yarn to make a poncho. I love the yarn, but I am having trouble working with it. It seems to be a little easier if I work my stitches loosely. Does anyone have any tips for working with this yarn?

Thanks!

Lisa

Guest PaisleyAngel

I also work loosely, but I found if I do the starting chain and foundation row while sitting under a bright light, the rest goes smoothly. I was having a hard time working with it in regular light, so I went to my special crocheting nook with the bright light and had no problem after that.

I've got to agree with those who've answered ahead of me. :yes Loose and in good light... are the best answers for working with Homespun.

Good Luck! (it feels so lovely.. doesn't it?)

I would like to add, that once you've got a few rows under your belt with the Homespun, "feeling" the stitches comes as second nature. The first time I used Homespun, I had a very dark charcoal color. It wasn't easy at first, but by the time I got done with that scarf, I was no longer afraid to try it again! (And I crochet tightly to begin with.)

Guest SaintlyMama77

this is a difficult yarn for me also but I like it. I too am currently using it for a poncho. Loosely and good light is all I have to say too.

It is not an easy yarn to work with but well worth the trouble. I love the feel of the finished project. Loose stitches and good light are most definitly the solution!!

kelly v

Favorite. Yarn. Ever. :D

But, yeah, it takes some getting used to. :)

I have used a K hook with it, but my personal preference is an N hook. As was mentioned, I also tend to "feel" my stitches instead of see them...

I love the soft texture of it... I have a huge "waterfall" afghan made from it (pattern is on some labels, and I made it twice as big), and my everyday winter scarf is also made from it.

I like to gather up my leftovers from Homespun projects and use it to make scrappy scarves with random stripe lengths. :D You can see two of them (plus my afghan) below:

3scarves.jpg

Thanks! :D

That middle scarf with the gray and yellow is a modified "Dr Who" scarf I made for my husband. It just happened to be in the picture -- but it sure allows you to see the difference between worsted and Homespun, doesn't it?! LOL!

Guest Yarnentangled

Yep, one definatly has to learn how to feel for the next place to insert the hook. When I first used Homespun I thought I would never want to work with it ever again.

After some experience thought, its now a piece of cake. I love that yarn. I've also noticed that other companys have joined in with their own versions of this type of yarn.

Archived