Crochet Newsletter

I am thinking of creating a crochet newsletter. I don't really know know much about newsletter writing, but I do know that the one's I get don't seem to have much information on them, it's mostly just ads. I'm still going to have to have ads on mine but I'm also hoping to include a little more substance. Things I want to include are:

1. Pattern of the week(month? not sure how often I should publish)

2. Stitch of the week

3. An article from a crocheter either about a certain way to do something or a story involving crochet(you all know you have at least one)

That's all I've got so far. The main thing I'm having problems with is coming up with a name. Any Ideas??

I can't offer a prize, but I'll mention you in the first newsletter!

Sounds good.

I receive one and there's usually a tip section on some crochet technique. That might be good to add. It looks like that sometimes it's from someone other then her. I also like the Q&A in Crochet World even if I know the answer, sometimes it's the same or different then what I do, that might be an option. And a link section, maybe of patterns of what you're original pattern is or tips or something for the month or season. Maybe a charity section of the month like our Blitz to go with the pattern(s).

Just some ideas...

Debbi

I get monthly ones from Yarn Lovers Room. SHe brings everyone up to date about what she's been doing and her family, pattern help. People will e-mail her questions about how to work a pattern and will answer them. Will also list LOTS of pattern ideas for different things. If you sign up now....you'll probably get the next one. SHe does them one a month via e-mail. http://www.******/

well now - here's her lastest on her site:

http://www.******/news/index.html

I understand about being disappointed in the newsletters you receive. One thing you need to keep in mind is the purpose of many of those newsletters is to keep reminding you about the store so you'll buy their merchandize. Most of the newsletters include the latest products received in their store. They call it a newsletter but it really isn't.

You will need to decide on the purpose of your newsletter. Will it be free or will it require a subscription? Will it be published online or will it go to individual email accounts? You will need to keep in mind that not everyone is on DSL. Many people are still on dial-up and downloading a file will take quite a while which will cause frustration on the part of the recipient.

I currently write our departmental newsletter which goes out to our alumni twice a year. It runs about 4-6 pages. It has a message from our chairperson (or editor in your case) and four articles on various research being done by the faculty. We also have 2 standard sections -- Faculty News and Student Chapter News -- which tells what they've been doing (awards received, etc.) since the last newsletter. Granted, we take our newsletter to a printer (we print approx 7500 copies) but you could easily convert your newsletter into a pdf file and email it.

I also used to write the monthly newsletter for my quilt guild. That included various articles about different techniques, quilt shows around the state, brief minutes from the last meeting, etc. I even put in a mystery pattern which spanned 4 months. I found this to be very time consuming because I spent a great deal of time researching information.

I don't mean to sound discouraging. It's just some things for you to think about.

Laurie those are some good points though for her to consider.

You might want a contributors section where a reader can contribue something. This way you have more in the newsletter. Of course you may get a ton and someone who doesn't get theirs in there may be upset, however you can mention something like, "due to the volume, not all contributions will be published". And mention "may be edited by publisher to fit newsletter" so you can edit it if needed. But that is anothe idea.

Maybe sit down and write down a bunch of ideas for your part of the newsletter, like the Letter from the Editor section. Make sure you have at least 24 if you do it for a year, this way you have ideas for the year and then some in case you chance your mind. Maybe get a paper and write down the months, think of the holidays and if you do the newsletter at the beginning of the month, you can gear it towards the holidays and month for your letter and pattern.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies! I'm starting to try and figure out a format for all of the content.

Debbi-a1-I really like the idea of coming up with letters from the editor in advance that will probably save me a LOT of time in the long run.

LaurieE- Thanks for your insight into this. It's good to hear from someone with experience in newsletter writing. I'll keep all those points in mind.

And thank you to everyone one else who replied! They are all great suggestions and I am keeping them on file for future refence. I'm still open for more ideas/suggestion so if you got em', post em'!

Newsletters can be hard to do, especially by yourself. I used to do one for the hospital I worked for and really, it was fun at first but became a drag rather quickly. Have you looked at something like Knitters' Review to see how others do it? Clara Parkes often has a review of yarn, something she is quite expert in, as well as interviews well-known knitters.

Just one of those things ANYONE should consider if they plan to publish a document: how are your writing and proofing skills? Do you need a partner, open or silent, to help you with fine-tuning? When I did the newsletter I always had at least two people to proof, although I am someone who has often been asked to proof for others. It just makes sense to be sure you haven't overlooked something. (Not pushing for a job here, but I know from experience that you cannot proof enough. The first time you realize you've completely misspelled somebody's name or read past a critical error, you'll know the truth of this.) If you do decide to accept articles from readers, be sure they understand you will proof their work.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you, but just be sure you have your bases covered. :yes

Are you planning an intimate, family-type newsletter or do you envision something more formal? You need to know where you are headed before you put the first word onto paper.

I think I'll stop here and let some of the others chime in.

It's a great idea. I hope you do splendidly with it!

Archived