Ideas for organizing patterns from crochet magazines

Is there anyone out there like me that is addicted to new crochet magazines with new and exciting patterns in them. Then when you get home you realize you have a similar pattern at home. Well I am looking for a way to organize my magazines and to know what patterns that I especially like are in each one. Any ideas on organizing them? I don't want to tear the patterns out of the magazine, but I don't want anything too complicated either. Just want to access a pattern more easily.

I thought about going through each magazine and in the table of contents highlighting those patterns that I really like and then putting them in a bookcase by magazine title/monthly. Believe me I got lots of mags . . . I said I was addicted. If any can enhance this idea I would appreciate. I'm tired of going through stacks of magazines and buying them is getting too expensive.

Well I have a pretty unsophisticated method. Basically I use a post it note-upside down so that the sticky part sticks to the page and the non sticky part shows over the top of the magazine. I put that on the page with the pattern I like. Then I write the name of the pattern on the part that sticks up so I can easily read it. But I have less than 50 magazines so it isn't really that hard to look through the stack and read the notes to find the pattern I am looking for.

I do the post note thing, too. Only I use the slim flag ones.

I've gone through most of my magazines and wrote out what is inside on a sheet of paper with the name, month, year on the top with stars next to things I want to make. That way it's easy to the papers and see what I want to make. Keeping the magazines in order then makes it easy to get the one I want.

I've also used the the lined note paper kind of post it to stick to the front of a magazine with a list of what's inside.

I too have tonz & tonz of crochet mags. so I've only managed to do this for 1

set so far - my Crochet W/Heart mags. - I went thru each one & made a list of the patterns I liked - then typed it up w/the name of the pattern(s) & issue they're in - I keep it in the front of the whole set in a plastic sleeve protector.

Good luck! Smiles, Louise

Holy granola, is there some sort of psychic-ness to this site or something?

I *just* started cataloging my patterns, in magazines, books and my saved patterns, in an excel spreadsheet.

Clearly, this will be a long term project.

I'm putting the name of the magazine, the volume/number, date of publication, the name of the pattern, the page number, the type of pattern (afghan, doily, skirt, etc), a brief description, the yarn or thread used (just "worsted" or "size 10 thread" - no quantities), hook size, a column for "Will make? Yes/No" and a "Notes" column for my personal thoughts on the project.

I type the pattern names and pages from the table of contents in first; that goes pretty quickly. I fill in the rest of the stuff as I go through the magazine.

It takes me about 10 minutes to do a Crochet World, so it's not too bad.

Then, when I want to make, say, an afghan, I can sort by "Category", see all the afghan patterns, read the descriptions and notes and then only open/find the ones that seem to fit my current fancy!

It will save time in the long run; right now, whenever I want to make something, I find I just go to CPC and download a new pattern - one that I may have already downloaded! I have lots of duplicate patterns saved on my computer, and I'm not using my magazines or books hardly at all.

I keep my magazines in three-ring binders using these things http://cgi.ebay.com/Magazine-Holder-Protector-for-3-Ring-Binder_W0QQitemZ250097332440QQcategoryZ268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and I organize them by month/year. I use the post-its to mark the patterns I especially like, but since I love looking through the magazines I find this works well for me.

Holy granola, is there some sort of psychic-ness to this site or something?

I *just* started cataloging my patterns, in magazines, books and my saved patterns, in an excel spreadsheet.

Clearly, this will be a long term project.

I'm putting the name of the magazine, the volume/number, date of publication, the name of the pattern, the page number, the type of pattern (afghan, doily, skirt, etc), a brief description, the yarn or thread used (just "worsted" or "size 10 thread" - no quantities), hook size, a column for "Will make? Yes/No" and a "Notes" column for my personal thoughts on the project.

I type the pattern names and pages from the table of contents in first; that goes pretty quickly. I fill in the rest of the stuff as I go through the magazine.

It takes me about 10 minutes to do a Crochet World, so it's not too bad.

Then, when I want to make, say, an afghan, I can sort by "Category", see all the afghan patterns, read the descriptions and notes and then only open/find the ones that seem to fit my current fancy!

It will save time in the long run; right now, whenever I want to make something, I find I just go to CPC and download a new pattern - one that I may have already downloaded! I have lots of duplicate patterns saved on my computer, and I'm not using my magazines or books hardly at all.

i started doing this a few months ago. have never completed it to date, and dont think it ever will be "complete" per say. mine includes knit and a few other kids of patterns to as i have a lot of the Womans Day type craft books which combine a ton of techniques. I planned once I got a fair amount done to open a new tab for different categories and dividing them up more

HA! You folks are a bit too organized for me!

With my magazines, I just browse. When I am ready to start a new project I first go thru all my mags, and they give me inspiration. So far, I have only done one pattern from a mag ... but yesterday I started another.

Archived