A question about Lighted Hooks and Needles

I really would like to hear from anyone that has used them.

How bright is the light?

I have been thinking about getting some but I have to wonder if looking into a light is really good for your eyes. I am past the magic age of 40 and of course my eyesite is taking a real nosedive. While I think the idea of having a light right on your work is great, I have to look at my work when I crochet and knit so I'm wondering if over time you could actually damage your eyes.

Mine came today. They are pretty bright at the tip, but overall I think a nice level of light. I don't think you'd damage your eyes crocheting with it. I'm sure shining it directly into your eye is not safe. I'd say this computer screen and the sun in my eyes driving is causing more damage. I work with lasers at my job, the training I've had says LEDs will not damage your eyes unless you hold it directly to your eye for a period of time. Not that I am equipped to give any facts to proof it, but there are regulations to label anything that could cause eye damage.

I've tossed a few stitches together and it was nice to work with. The larger handle feels good, better than I thought. It reminds me of the hooks they put out for sore hand users, which I am. I think it is really going to be helpful with darker yarns. I'm hoping the gage fits with an afghan I am working on now that is mostly darker TLC colors.

Maybe a dab of paint on the tip would calm the bright light at the tip. I'd say maybe a sharpie because that would diffuse the light rather than possibly reflecting it with paint, but I'd be afraid the sharpie would come of on the yarn. It does give me the idea to check out the paints that are used to paint those window danglers, know what I mean? That would calm the brightness down a bit, yet still clear enough to let the light through. I'm wondering if that bright tip might be a distraction to my husband while he's driving at night on a long trip, which is one of the reasons I wanted a lighted hook. I'm so glad someone finally came out with something affordable.

If I try this out I'll post some before and after pictures.

I ordered 2 this week and can't wait to get them. I am hoping that I won't break them since I am a tighter crocheter. My teen daughter wants everything done in black yarn so I'm hoping that the lighted hook will help me see the stitches a bit better.

I love mine, I use it all the time, I don't use the light in the day time, but at night it really makes it easier to see the holes. I think that I crochet faster with it, I think because it just goes right in the hole it is suppose to.......It was a good investment for me,,,

I have a silly question.........

I like to crochet when the hubby is sleeping. could I use these in the dark and still be able to read the pattern ( that is if I held the pattern close to the hook LOL) We put in little wall lamps just for this purpose, but even that light bothers the hubby sometimes.

I have a silly question.........

I like to crochet when the hubby is sleeping. could I use these in the dark and still be able to read the pattern ( that is if I held the pattern close to the hook LOL) We put in little wall lamps just for this purpose, but even that light bothers the hubby sometimes.

i think if you held it to the pattern or a section of the pattern you would be able to read it i have 2 of them so far love them both it does seem to make things go faster since you can see where its supposed to go my cats think its a toy and play with it and i can follow it across the carpet.

I tried one that a friend had bought for herself (She is a knitter who hates crochet, but is also a magpie and attracted to shiny things). I didn't like it because the way I use the hook, it flashed directly into my eyes once during each stitch. I recommend trying them out first before buying.

I loved the knitting needles though. They work perfectly and you can see the stitches much clearer. The hooks just don't work for Me, though.

Archived