Which way do you turn?

At the end of each row, have you ever paid attention to which way you turn your fabric? And is there a right and wrong way to do it? I never thought about it until I was working on a project that I had to turn totally opposite the direction I had been turning to get it to work right. Most of what I know about crochet I taught myself, but nothing I ever read said which way to turn at the end of the row to start another one, so I just did what was natural and never gave it a second thought. Me, I turn usually clock-wise, until lately after finally reading in the Crochet Answer Book that it should be the other way. (Hope I haven't mixed up the two directions while writing this...lol.)

So...do you turn your work clockwise or counter-clockwise? Any thoughts?

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/Aggie2may/?action=view&current=Swimmingsocceretc.flv

Here is a link to a wee video which I have posted previously.

When you turn the way I do, you get the CH sitting flat and the front of the CH facing you when you get back to it and it is much easier to work into when you need to at the end of the rows.

Makes a very neat edge on your crochet.

I dont really know if it is clock-wise or anti because it is more of a backwards flip.

I always do my CH before I turn.

Really though, it should not make any difference to most stitches, just try to flip it in the same direction every row.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I turn at the end of rows alternately, clockwise then counter-clockwise. That way the work in my lap doesn't get twisted. I'm not sure it really makes a difference, if so, patterns would tell us which way to turn.

I don't think it makes a difference on some items. I was doing some scarfs for the charity blitz and after they got so long I just turned them both ways so I wouldn't have them twisted or have to lift them each time. Because I was doing double crochet it didn't matter much. When I turned them one way I found it was a little harder to put the hook in the turning chain, but not all that hard.

And I would have to think about it or do a project to see which way I turn. LOL So far it's all been good.

Debbi

Archived