The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

lucie

I rented the original movie today from my local library, with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. Ms. Tierney's character had two different afghans, one of them a granny square afghan. Also, both she and her housekeeper wore crocheted shawls. I think I saw another character, the rental agent, wearing a crocheted scarf. The costumes represented the time shortly after the turn of the 20th century. Even though I love black and white movies, I would have liked to have seen the colors of the afghans. Also, there was a bowl of yarns used as a prop and Gene Tierney's character was balling up a skein in one of the scenes. It was a great movie, rent it if you can.

this is my all time favorite and i have it. i have watched it many times. i love the ship captain and Mrs. Muir. did you notice Natalie Wood plays the daughter when she is little?

I just bought that dvd from Amazon after seeing part of it on a tv when I was waiting in a drs office a short time ago. Haven't had time to really sit and watch it (story of my life, LOL) but will check out the crocheted apparel.

LI Roe

Yes that was a great movie, and not the only black and white of that time that you will see with crochet objects. I love the black and white movies, but I'm with you would love to know what colors the afghans and shawls were.

This is my absolutely most favorite of all times movie, also. I have watched it a zillion times. I took pictures with my digital camara of the afghans and Gene Tierney's shawl she was wearing when they were finishing the book and talking. I am going to amazon to order the DVD.

• 1 year later...

I just saw this movie last night! I knew I'd seen something about it here before but had to look through 6 pages because the search turned up nothing. It was my first time and I got it from my library too :D. The first thing I noticed was the multiple granny square blanket when she took her first nap, then years later it was a big square, just like the ones I've seen made by some here these days. I loved a shawl Gene Tierney wore and even the short shoulder one the maid wore. I will have to look again to see the scarf, missed that one. I thought how great those times were when everyone had prized crocheted items in their homes and wardrobe. Maybe we're all contributing to bringing those days back, for me there is just something SO special about crocheted things...:manyheart must be all the love and care that goes into making each piece...

For years I passed it off in the shelves but I'm glad I finally decided to pick it up. I wonder if subconsciously I did it because of the crochet...:lol

• 11 months later...

I love this movie!!!!! One of my all time favorites. I don't usually buy movies but this one I did. Watched it numerous times - cried every time.

Will have to keep an eye out for the crochet items.... missed those.

Thanks for letting us know so I have a good excuse to make time to watch it again.

Archived