Starching Thread Projects

beachlady

I would like to know what is the best "starching stuff" out there. And does anyone know what the commerical crocheted use to make, angels, snowflakes stiff as a rock, just yesterday I saw many in Wal=mart. How do they make it so stiff. It sure is not starch, nor that stuff that comes in pink small bottle (forgot its name). :bow

I can't speak for the "best stuff out there", but I use cornstarch to starch my snowflakes. It does dry super stiff but I'm sure there are other products that might work better. I'm just getting started though, I've got plenty to learn about the process.

The best that I have found that I buy at walmart is called stiffin stuff.. I will get a plastic ziplock bag, pour the stuff in the bag than put in my item. I than saturate it real well, lay it out in proper shape and let air dry.. For items like baskets. after it is dried I go and resoak it again, this makes it extra stiff.. Than reshape it and let it dry...

I just use any liquid starch found in the laundry asile of the grocery store, use it full strength and make sure you pin your project into place ( I use a styrofoam board covered with plastic wrap) let it dry and voila! For baskets, I use a bowl or something and lay it over that.

I guess what were saying, any starch will work. :)

What is the measurement you use making the cornstarch mixture. I want it real real stiff. I have used several things and still not as happy as I want to be with the stiffness on some of the stuff. Recently finished one of my doll dresses and I made the parasol, well I have starched that silly thing 3 times and shape it on a small balloon, shape is great, but it seems to weaken and get floppy after a few days, note I live in Florida and our humidity could have something to do with it, that is why I am looking to find out what they use to stiffen those things like angles and snowflakes we find in the stores, they are rock hard. Any ideas.

I was hunting around looking for the "perfect" snowflake stiffener tonight and found this link. We're going to Joanns tomorrow and I thought I'd see what I could find. I still haven't decided what I want to use, but now I've got even more things to consider. :oops

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying Stiffy at Joanns a few weeks ago. It is easy to use and clean up, and I'm positive the snowflakes are stiffer and cleaner looking than with the cornstarch. Plus, it's very liquid (not thick and gunky) so a little bit goes a long way. My bottle will probably last me for most of the coming year with my plan to make flakes every week. :))

• 4 months later...

I've been using a mix of white Elmer's glue and water to stiffen my doilies. It seems to work pretty well so far.

• 7 months later...
I was hunting around looking for the "perfect" snowflake stiffener tonight and found this link. We're going to Joanns tomorrow and I thought I'd see what I could find. I still haven't decided what I want to use, but now I've got even more things to consider. :oops

julie - this link saved the day for me!!!

just wanted to say thanks for posting the info :)

Archived