Miscellaneous Afghan CAL

BarbaraJean

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finished my blanket yesterday and I am so pleased with the way it looks. Now I only have the fringes left and I will do that today, so I will have some pictures and finished measurements for you later tonight :)

Fringes are the DEVIL! I have to make over 700 of them. That will be alot of measuring and cutting

Oh, I hate fringes too. I don't make them. I always find another way to finish off a project which calls for fringes. :D

I found my needle! apparently when I took the afghan out of the bag I keep it in, the case, which I had put on TOP of the afghan, fell to the BOTTOM of the bag, under the yarn.

Candy-

how big were your squares?

Yay!! Now get back to work. ;):lol

Oh, I hate fringes too. I don't make them. I always find another way to finish off a project which calls for fringes. :D

Yeah, I normally avoid them as well, but my sister wants fringes. And who am I to say no to the bride? :P I am almost 3/4 done with them, I have one whole side and a little more on another. Then I am done. I pinned my tape measure to my ironing board after a while, and I cut 5 at the time, so the cutting doesn't take as nearly as long as when I did them one by one. I've cut the rest of the fringes today but I'm done for today. Going to finish it tomorrow when I wake up.:hook

Thanks, Candy! I'll have to get some fleece next time I go to Wal-mart or Joanns. I presume you were using worsted weight yarn, but what size hook were you using?

yes, worsted weight with a G hook:hook

9"x10"

Thanks, Candy! Maybe I'll make one for my friend. Her birthday's in Semptember. The only problem would be trying to figure out what kind of patterned fleece she would like. OR, we could both make one-I'm sort of teaching her crochet. I want one for me anyway. (I'm using my sister's laptop at the moment, and boy! is it hard to type on.)

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say-I'm almost done, I just need to do the last round on 2 more squares, then weave in the tails and join them, and do the border. Got a lot done watching National Treasure yesterday with my sister (even insisted that we watch almost all the credits so that I'd have more time to crochet LOL).

Barbara, Jean - I really hope you don't mind me posting this here but I really need help picking out a pattern.

Can you guys please, please, please check out my post here http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=840357&posted=1#post840357 and let me know what your favorites are. Even a pretty ghan pattern will work!

I have to pick something fast cuz I still have to make it. I'm so happy and excited!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Candy! And here I was making it so tough! I have a full plate right now, but I might be doing these for Christmas. I bought fleece a few years ago to make the blankets where you cut fringe around the edges, then tie two pieces of fleece together with the fringe. Unfortunately, I only got one yard of each color and that was just too narrow. One yard seems perfect for this project though, with the edging, etc. Just think- I have eight pieces of fleece! I have prints and solids to match, so I may wind up using two different fabrics in each one. Whoo hoo!

One more question, if you don't mind: approximately how much yarn did it take to make yours? I have a huge stash, but it is mostly partial skeins.

I love having projects lined up that I already have the materials for. It makes it feel like I'm crafting for free! (We just won't think about the fact that $40 worth of fleece has been sitting for two years.....)

For the red yarn, which I used to crochet around each square and then the first border row, I started with a brand new 16oz. skein and I didn't even used half of it, and then the 2nd row of the border didn't even put a dent in a new skein of black.

You could easily do 2 projects with one 16oz skein and still have some left over.

Happy hookin' :hook

And it's done! YAY! It now measures 93 x 108 inches, and it is so pretty. I'm almost a little sad I can't keep it for myself:devil But on the other hand, I know my sister is going to love it, and that makes it a little easier. I used 8 Caron One Pound skeins in Off-White and almost 2 Caron Perfect Match in Taupe. It is heavy, I can tell you that much :P Almost 9 pounds. HAHA. And I am NEVER doing fringes again. 760 is quite enough for one lifetime, lol. Now I am going to make some squares for my scrap granny afghan that I have been working on. I only make a few out of every color that I get left over, so it is going to take long before it is finished. But it is a good way to get rid of some of the yarn. And who doesn't like to make granny squares? :) Listen to me babbling. Here are the pictures :)

ripple1.jpg

ripple2.jpg

ripple3.jpg

If you wash fringe, it often gets tangled and matted. You absolutely CANNOT dry an afghan with fringe, or the yarn pieces sort of turn into dreadlocks. Dreadlocks are great on a Rastafarian man, but I don't particularly like it on my afghans.

Biz........nice work on the comfortghan, it's looks great.

Malin.........your 'ghan looks SO cozy! :fluffy

Barbara, Jean - I really hope you don't mind me posting this here but I really need help picking out a pattern.

Can you guys please, please, please check out my post here http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=840357&posted=1#post840357 and let me know what your favorites are. Even a pretty ghan pattern will work!

I have to pick something fast cuz I still have to make it. I'm so happy and excited!!!!!!!!!

:) I don't mind at all. I hope you find the perfect one!

HI! can I get in on this with my "blushing Grannies" ghan and my neverending granny ghan?:hook

Absolutely! I'll get your name and projects added to the first post. I hope you'll check in often and let us know about your progress.

ripple1.jpg

ripple2.jpg

ripple3.jpg

Congratulations! I agree that the contrasting border is fantastic! I'll update the first post.

Finally finished the comfortghan! Here's the link to see it:

http://bizzycrochet.blogspot.com/2007/07/remember.html

I haven't started another one just yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Your comfortghan is beautiful. How long did it take you? I'll update the first post.

I attached 1 square of the last row last night and one this morning-and dad's going to show me and my sister a WWII movie tonight. I want to watch 'Above and Beyond', but I think my sister might want 'Pimpernel Smith'. (I want to watch that too, but I feel like not watching it tonight...I forgot to say we haven't seen these movies before, all we know is what Dad told us) Either way, I'm probably going to get a lot done tonight, which is good, because I told some people at church I'd have it done by the church picnic, which is tomorrow.

I borrowed the Herrschner's Afghan book from that library last night. It is AMAZING!!! I want to make the interlocking rings one in christmas colors sometime.

I've been stalled this last week or so on my Sage Box Stitch Afghan, I'm about 75% finished right now. I only have a couple more rounds on my RR and then I can blitz the box stitch early in the week.

The hubby is going to Germany for 3 weeks on business, so I will have tons of uninterrupted crochet time :devil

Well, you can mark off the Sea Ripple Barbara Jean. It's done. I have to wash it and trim ends. I'll try to get a picture up today. Hmmm, what else can I start.

Malin, love your Ripple. Especially the contrasting row at the end. It really sets it of.

Biz, your comfort ghan is great.

CompletedWaveRippleforKitties.jpg?t=1183840418

Yes, two cheering smilies that my spoiled kitties blanket is completed however, I only have one minor problem. Only one of our two cats will lay on it!!! :eek Can you imagine the nerve of our Bunny Boy who refuses to sit or lay down on his new blanket.

I can't figure out why either.....I used Red Heart super saver since I knew I'd be washing and drying if often and I knew that Red Heart would soften up beautifully once washed (which I already did). Could it be that I've spoiled them with wool blends that I've had out in the past and now they're actually "yarn snobs"! :think

Cheers, Laura

Archived