Anyone ever done a landscape? / Freeform hook question

jimbo

I keep thinking that someday i'd like to get a large wall hanging done in freeform of a landscape with nice earthy tones for mountains and trees and such. Since i can't crochet my way out of a wet water bag, i'm curious if anyone knows of someone who does such stuff. That is if its something do-able.

Thanks.

Oh and while you're at it... tell me, if you're a free-former, if there might be a particular quality you'd like to see in a freeform hook. I made some tapered hooks (they tapered from about an H at the hook end to about a M near the finger pad) that i thought might be fun for freeform, but lost track of who got them and consequently didn't get any feedback.

Any ideas???

That sounds like a lovely idea, go ahead and give it a crack, then let us know how it's progressing. I can hardly wait! Jax in Wales

Thanks Jax, and i'd indeed give it a crack.... but i'm a hook maker, not a crochetier... my crocheting consists of chains done to test the hooks i carve. But i've often had this thought of a wall hanging landscape done in yarn, and it seems like a likely subject matter, but i've not seen one done.

You do such things?

Maybe i could do such a thing using a weaving loom of sorts, and just see how it goes. I've got a big wall to cover in our cabin up in the mountains (see it in my blog at http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/ ) and i'd really like to have some original artwork to display there.

If i tried such a thing, is there a particular yarn to use... say one with colorfast dyes that wouldn't fade over time?

Thanks Jax, for your encouragement.

Jimbo

I think tapestry crochet might work as it would be stiffer than just a single strand of ww. Wool would hold up pretty well. It could be done as a graph crochet project. Keep in mind this is a guess, as I have never done a freeform project! All I know is using a pattern!

Jim, it's way more than possible!

Check out some of Jeannie Taylor's work - not quite landscapes, but it'll show how much more is possible:

http://www.crochet.nu/scrumblersgallery/gallery/jtaylor/index.html

Audrey Dixon's "Barrier Reef Wall Panel"

http://www.crochet.nu/scrumblersgallery/gallery/adixon/breef-wp-m.html

Sheila Horton:

http://www.crochet.nu/scrumblersgallery/gallery/shorton/SH1-m.html

I think there is at least one person working on a FFC landscape right now on the International Freeform Crochet group (a Y! group), and a couple of others who've already done one. You'd do well to check with them!

Holey Cow Brae! Those are amazing links! I've been over to International Freeform Crochet and posted there as well, and i'm getting even more inspired. I think i just might bumble along and try to do this thing.

The idea is to make a frame.. do a matrix of, oh maybe monofilliment fishing line, and have at it with whatever yarn, natural fiber or whathaveyou that looks like it would work.

And thanks as well re the tapestry crochet suggestion.... i checked that out too. Just amazing what incredible talent there is out there. Humbling.

I've thought about doing a landscape for myself... I've just never started it - I wanted to weave most of it and crochet some other parts, and I don't have a loom (yet!).

Hiya Jim, yep, some of those women are true artists!

Been thinking about your 'problem' ... you know, only knowing how to do chain stitches? Not a problem! With chain stitches (slip stitch) - and chains - you could probably do a really terrific landscape! Textures (very big in FF) could easily come from both gourmet yarns as well as to be built up with chains. Actually, not knowing how to crochet would be a big help ... you'd be less inclined toward stitch structure, and would likely feel more free to place those chain stitches willy-nilly.

And what a freeform challenge that would be ... chain stitches only!

jim: i've been working on a landscape freeform, using knit and crochet. i want a tree and water with green elements thru-out. we'll see. i'm rather caught up in frogging the trees! the hooks sound interesting. i've never used wooden hooks before, so i'm not familiar with them at all. with freeform i use just about every needle i own, so the idea of having one needle with two sizes sounds really interesting. a bullion needle would be awesome, one that makes the perfect bullion stitch!

Oh boy, Moon... sounds like you're making zactly what i had in mind. Hope you'll post a picture of the finished project.

Oh and i'll be looking up bullion stitch to see whats there that might dictate how a specialty hook would be made. Got any hints?

Thanks Moon... I'm really looking forward to seeing your landscape with frogless trees.

• 1 month later...

Jimbo, any success yet? I kinda was thinking about doing one someday...I'm too busy right now, since it would take me forever...Updates?

---Oohhh! Wouldn't a freeform weeping willow be gorgeous? with a little sparkly pond right next to it, with kids and other folks playing nearby? :manyheart Hmmm....after my other projects slow down a bit, i might just have to take a gander at this one!!

Wow. Those are some amazing links, and now I see what you were talking about before, Jimbo. You've inspired me to try freeform! Woopie! The light is suddenly coming on in my head - a little dim, but it's there:D . Now instead of aimlessly crocheting and frogging not knowing what to make I can take some inspiration from your idea and the amazingly talented crochet artists out there! This is great!:yay

Archived