yarn bobbins?

For crocheting with more than one color at a time, bobbins are helpful. You can use knitter's bobbins that come in different sizes for different ammounts of yarn, but this is tedious when it comes to winding them.

My method is to use butterflies. Wind the ammount of yarn you need around your index and middle fingers. Then, before cutting the yarn, take this loop of yarn and wrap it three to five times, or more if you have a large ammount of yarn, around the middle. This creates a little butterfly of yarn that you can use just like a small ball. Begin working with the end of the yarn from the center of the butterfly. You may need to re-wind the butterfly as it gets used up, in order to keep it tight.

I hope this helps.:hook

Mindy

:hug:cheer Take a piece of cardboard about 8 inches X 4 inches, fold it in half and cut a wee slit in the folded edge, about 1/2 inch from the edge.

Wind your yarn onto it and hook it into the slit.

Each time you want to use some of the colour, un-wind as much as you need then hook it back into the slit. If you dont do this it will all unwind.

Where you can, it is good to have the bobbin end up close to your work.

Try not to put too much on each bobbin and if you are using small bits, dont use a bobbin, just leave them hanging and every now and them you can pull it through to untangle.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I've made bobbins with both flexible straws and with cardboard. The straws - I wrap them, and then drop the working end down the straw and flex it. Card board - I cut rectangles, bent them in half and cut a notch in both ends along the fold, one to secure the nonworking end, then wrapped them, and secured the working end when not in use in the second notch. Both tangle if you have too many, and depending on the yarn, will snag your work.

I found some tiny little ziplock bags once (for keeping seed beads and stuff in) and used those once - wound little yarn balls to put in them. It was okay - better than the straw idea, not as good as real bobbins.

You can buy plastic yarn bobbins (both small and large) in knitting supplies. Some of them look different (bates vs boye) but pretty much wind the same.

I make my yarn bobbins out of stiff plastic. I cut up a container that kitty litter comes in. I make my bobbins in the shape of a big fat "H". The yarn gets wound around the middler horizontal bar in the middle of the "H". I also cut a tiny slit in the plastic on side to anchor the yarn when I'm not using it.

:)I've made some out of 7count plastic canvas before. Just cut out the shape of the capital letter H, trim all edges so your yarn doesn't snag and there you go - perfect. You can make them in different colors just for fun.

Debi Y.:hook

My mom used old extra plastic vanes from vertical blinds to make yarn bobbins. She cut them into basically an H shape and she used those clips that you use to secure stacks of paper too thick for paperclips on one end to keep the yarn from unwinding itself.

• 4 months later...

Well let me put my two cents in as well...

If you can't get to store that sell them, then you should check your local dollar stores and look for clothes pins the kind with the spring.

Some dollar stores or even stores like walmart etc sometines sell the plastic mini clothes pins with the spring these are great as well, and the yarn won't snag to the clothes pins and i think the plastic ones are more light weight thatn the wooded ones...

How would a person go about making these, what kind of material would you use? The only thing I have found are the ones you wind floss around. Any ideas?

Yup, lots of ideas/suggestions! *LOL* Just go to this page at my site for more information about bobbins:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnami...b.html#bobbins

There are lots of different kinds of bobbins that you can buy and/or make. My page does include a picture of some of the different bobbins you can find/buy. There's also hints/helps for some bobbin substitutes on the page.

HTH! :hook

Archived