yarn out of a sweater

I just had to take some pics and post this here. I am so excited :clap that as soon has I submit this thread Im going back up to finish it.

Ok, so I had a sweater that my mom gave to me as a Christmas gift. Well, it didnt fit because it was a sweater that's suppose to be sorda like a short dress that you wear leggings under or something and it is obviously made for someone with breast and no butt (sorry but it's the truth) and I am just the opposite. So anyways I was going to make a pillow out of it because the color is just way to nice. So I cut up the bottom part and then I wanted to see if I could unravel some in some long piece and I did :eek . So I just kept going and going (at first it was tricky because of the short pieces and some got tangled) but then all of a sudden it just started coming undone more and more.

Here is what I have so far. I am literally on :c9 . First off the sweater was a gift which means freebie then to make a ball of yarn out of it :cheer

This is what I have so far just from the front bottom half section

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/KylaLaniMom/Crafts/DSC01325.jpg

Another pic

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/KylaLaniMom/Crafts/DSC01327.jpg

So needless to say I dont have my sweater pillow but now I can make something out of recycled yarn :yay

I just got a handknit wool sweater at the thrift shop for 2 buckaroos! It was kinda hard to undo w/o cutting anything at first, but I got fed up and just started cutting away, I lost 1/4 ball of yarn (from my winder), but I don't really care since I got almost 4 humungo balls wound and i still haven't unraveled the back part yet :lol

I'm going to make a super giganto Fat Bottom Bag with it and then felt it down to size just for fun!!

a couple of months back i think somebody posted a link to instructions on how to disassemble a premade sweater...i've just searched my hard drive and can't find it but i'm sure i've saved it somewhere...i'll keep looking......

How cool is that!? That's something else I want to do someday... recycle an old sweater and use the yarn for something else.. What are you going to make with it? :hook

Tina

:) thanx for the link.....i kinda wish i had this link before;) . I did the whole bottom part of the sweater and was working on the top part and got kinda frustrated because every thing kept knotted up. i had to cut some to. i think just from the bottom part though I have about a good size 4 oz. ball.

it's ok though because I have about a ton of sweaters and dont wear about half of them:no . so i will keep this link in mind for future reference. just added it to my faves.

as far as what im going to make with it im not sure. i was thinking a scarf because right now it is :flake:wbrr:snow 6 degrees outside.

what a beautiful sweater... would have fit me hehee! seriously, at least you can make something out of it, and in a way, it still comes from your mom!

as for the recycled yarn thing!

What a great link! yarn ramen! indeed! LOL!

thanks for posting it, my step mother gave me this wool sweater made for twiggy, and now I'll get to try ... felting! muwahahaha!

cheers!

I just had to take some pics and post this here. I am so excited :clap that as soon has I submit this thread Im going back up to finish it.

Ok, so I had a sweater that my mom gave to me as a Christmas gift. Well, it didnt fit because it was a sweater that's suppose to be sorda like a short dress that you wear leggings under or something and it is obviously made for someone with breast and no butt (sorry but it's the truth) and I am just the opposite. So anyways I was going to make a pillow out of it because the color is just way to nice. So I cut up the bottom part and then I wanted to see if I could unravel some in some long piece and I did :eek . So I just kept going and going (at first it was tricky because of the short pieces and some got tangled) but then all of a sudden it just started coming undone more and more.

Here is what I have so far. I am literally on :c9 . First off the sweater was a gift which means freebie then to make a ball of yarn out of it :cheer

This is what I have so far just from the front bottom half section

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/KylaLaniMom/Crafts/DSC01325.jpg

Another pic

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/KylaLaniMom/Crafts/DSC01327.jpg

So needless to say I dont have my sweater pillow but now I can make something out of recycled yarn :yay

Breasts and no butt....uhem...that would be me :blush

How cool is free yarn??? YEah!

I've made several things from recycled yarn. A laprobe made of squares of various greys from a sweater. A pink boucle blankie for my friend who was going through chemo. It started life as an extra large sweater. Bigger sweater equals more yarn! I made a triangular shawl (knit) from the classic dishcloth pattern. It was a dress, a wool/silk blend. Have a cotton T-shirt almost done from a cotton sweater.A couple scarfs from a red cashmere sweater. I love to shop for sweaters to make yarn from! Need to crochet faster to get it all used! LOL

Archived