Need Ideas

My son has this beloved red blanket that I started making years ago. He was 9 months old and claimed my parcial project at the time and insisted on keeping it. So I finished it and he's almost 4 now and still loves it.

However, he wants a new blue blanket. I would like to keep the red one or maybe incorporate it into his new blue one. Any ideas?

Here's a pic of his blankie and our kitten sleeping with him. (He was in his "home" sleeping one morning where I found him when he wasn't in his bed)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/SweetLilRachy00/kullenandkitten001.jpg

So cute!

You could do white and then blue around the edges, so it's a red, white and blue afghan. This would make it bigger and when you finish one color he can use it until you're ready for the next.

Or just start a new one. Maybe do squares, with red in the center and then white and blue. This would keep the feel of the red blanket for him as he gets older. Also he could use the red one until you finish the next one.

Or just do a new one completely. He can save the red one and maybe use it for his lap when he's in school and studying or around his shoulders or...

I was thinking of taking out the crocheting and using the red in a new bigger one. He isn't going to care really. but he wants blue, so I can put the red with it. I like the idea about the red and going with white and then blue. How do I turn the corner to go around the current corners on the blanket? just ch 2 and go from there?

if it was my child i would make another one and either put the red one away for him to have if/when he had his own children (great heirloom)or let him us both. my daughter can't get enough blankets. she sleeps with 5 different ones and not the ones that belong on the bed and asks me to make her more.:eek

Yeah. See we already have a blanket problem. He too, sleeps with multiple blankets. Hubby thinks he might get cold, so that doesn't help, he rushes out of the room to get another!

So I think If I make a nice twin size one that it will eliminate the use of all the other ones!

Of course, I have a 5 year old, so I'll be making doubles!

So I think If I make a nice twin size one that it will eliminate the use of all the other ones!

Nope, if he claimed it as a little baby you're going to be hard pressed to get it away from him now. I made a lovey for my daughter and she's more attached to it now than ever. She cannot sleep without it. ;)

I agree with the group. Leave the first one alone. It is his and it is special to him. You may think it is time to do something with the old yarn but he still loves it.

Make an entirely new one from blue yarn like he asked and then he will have 2 special blankets.

Yep, definitely leave that one alone. When they have that special blankie with that special bond you could traumatize the little one if you take it apart!

I would just make him a new one! I made 5 for my grandson when he was born, Mr. Yellow is his favorite, he even tries to pack it in his bookbag to take to school! lol!

Archived