Anyone wanna join me? Doing a Well-Traveled Bag (m)

amalapert

ROFLROFL...well what a GREAT deal you got there!! Talk about benefits! LOL I'm lucky if my hubby actually SEES the Michael's coupon before he throws it out, much less gives it to me. I swear the man couldn't find a blue box in the middle of an all white shelf if his life depended on it. But he's a hunter (and can spot animals yarrrrrrrds away) and has never gotten lost. Maybe it's more of an act than I think it is. lol

:lol Oh Laurie!! I know this ALL too well, the joke around my home is "Its right next to the American Flag" why because I live with BOYS and they can't see a thing, even if it is RIGHT in front of them...yeppers, same thing here..... now send a woman out to get all the coupons she can get her hands on, and you KNOW that she wil come back with EVERY one she could find...hehehehe...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, yesterday when I woke up, the weather man said it was going to snow...:2snow

Boy, did it ever. It got much colder than it has been...:wbrr

And I was afraid to drive across town to get my yarn. :drive

We ended up with about 4 inches of snow over night :snow

But, all is not lost. I got to stay home and work in the bedspread I've been working on for...oh....about 5+ years now. :hook:dance

I actually had a really good time working on that. I'm getting close to finishing it. I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I was really looking forward to getting my wool yesterday for this bag, but the blanket was a good substitute. Depending on the roads today, I might go get it today. Let's see how it goes.... (hoping hoping hoping)

Well, yesterday when I woke up, the weather man said it was going to snow...:2snow

Boy, did it ever. It got much colder than it has been...:wbrr

And I was afraid to drive across town to get my yarn. :drive

But, all is not lost. I got to stay home and work in the bedspread I've been working on for...oh....about 5+ years now. :hook:dance

I actually had a really good time working on that. I'm getting close to finishing it. I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I was really looking forward to getting my wool yesterday for this bag, but the blanket was a good substitute. Depending on the roads today, I might go get it today. Let's see how it goes.... (hoping hoping hoping)

What better than working on a WARM bedspread in that weather!! I hope you finish it soon, and show it off here at the Ville :clap:manyheart

LOL - CUTE post! I had fun just reading it! LOL I'm glad you stayed safe in your warm house instead of going out for yarn. And, I have to say that while I worked a little bit on my bag last night, I was wishing I was doing a blanket instead so it would keep me warm - it was down to 9F here last night. lol

Instead of a boring lecture today at school, we saw a movie that took up most of the day, and I crocheted away during the film. But I ran out of the green yarn that is the bottom and lower sides and had to start in with the yellow (next color) so either I have to frog tonight or keep going a few rounds in yellow, then go back to one of the other colors (also using and earthy gold and a dusky pink). Hmm...frog or keep going? I'll have to think a bit on that one.

Okay ladies, I got my bag done!!! Well, crocheted :clap and felted, I took a before picture, and will do an after when I get it lined and the handles on, I must say I LOVE this bag, and am already working on another, larger though :lol , I went back and read the directions, yea, always a good thing to do AFTER your done right:think and see with the color changes, she went fron hdc to sc...well, guess what, I started reading on the hdc abd did the whole thing in hdc...rofl..but I DID have a varigated wool, and boy oh boy do I LOVE IT!! If photobucket wasnt so SLOW I would download the pics now, BUT I am off to bed kiddo's...I PROMISE to post my ics when I get up some time tommorow, oh wait, that is today....:lol

If you're thinking about Patons SWS there's a store on ebay that's selling lots of 6 right now for $30, with very reasonable shipping.

It works out to a little over $5 per skein with the shipping. You can't get it for that in the store (unless you have a coupon, then you can only get one at a time).

I just bought 2 lots because I'm going to make a skirt, too.

http://stores.ebay.com/Little-Munchkins-Boutique-and-More

That's the store. :)

Okay I couldn't resist, I took pics also of it felted, now keep in mind it isn't "finished" such as I haven't got the bag lined, handles on, finishing touchs..here are the pics, made in Patons SWS color, Natural Blue, and size K hook

th_100_0664.jpg

th_100_0665.jpg

th_100_0668.jpg

And JUST in case, here is a pic of me, just so you all can see who your typing to..lol

th_me.jpg

JoAnn it's absolutely beautiful! I love the varigated yarn, the colors of the yarn, and the fact that you did all hdc, like I want to do! Everyone I know who made the bag complained about endless rounds of sc...and so do I. I've decided to let the color changes come randomly, so except for the three rounds of sc I did last night, it's all going to be hdc for me too.

Are you going to line the bag? I hadn't thought about it because I was gifted with a felted bag that's similar and the felting is so tight it didn't need a lining. Are you going to crochet/knit handles or make the leather ones called for in the pattern? I actually have the leather, little metal eyelets and the punch for them because I was going to do the bag before, but the endless sc turned me off, and I miscalculated size to make it larger and use all hdc so I'd put it aside...somewhere.

:manyheart TY Kathy, see I didn't do it in the colors she had, A: because I coudn't get them, let alone that brand of wool, and B: I read through and couldn't POSSIBLY see spending that kind of money on a whole skien, that you are not going to use but maye 1/4 to 1/2 of it, as in the Maple syrup...so to me that would be a waste, BUT I am CHEEP, not so much cheep as economically challanged :lol , so I went with the varigated, and I LOVE the bag, I can hardley wait to finish it.

the only thing I found after I felted it, was I went back and forth with my tail, and there is a bit of a lump there...but I STILL love it :manyheart

I'm glad to see yours JoAnn, it looks great. I'm working with that yarn and color too and was wondering what the final results would be. What did you get for final measurements?

And what will you be using for handles? I'm undecided on that for now.

And I guess now that I've posted I am officially part of the CAL. :)

JoAnn - it's BEAUTIFUL!! I was going to come in here and ask what you ladies do when you're halfway through the project and feel like you'll never get it done - what do you do to kick yourself in the rear? Well, just seeing your pics and reading the comments has gotten me motivated again!! :) Your bag is sooo pretty! I might have to do another with SWS next time. ;)

Great job!:clap

I'm also doing all of mine in HDC - it's a faster st and works better with the double strand I'm doing. I can't wait to get to the FELTING part! LOLOL

And those who asked about handles - I like the ones on the pic I originally posted. Her pattern was knitted but she did:

Using double points, cast on 5 sts and knit for 72 inches.

Anyone know how to transfer that to a crochet st instead? Sounds like a mini scarf but how did she get it rolled? Hmm...maybe it's as simple as a mini scarf that's joined down the middle and then felted. I might try that if no one else has a better idea. ;)

Hers is an i-cord. It's a knit tube. I don't know if making a thin crochet strip and stitching it into a tube would work but I don't see why not. Also I'm sure there is a handy little tool that makes i-cord if it's something you might want to pick up. I think this is it :

http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$HQNA2CQAADD0GP4SY5KRIHR50LD3UEPO?CATID=24976&PRODID=82526

Well Joann, It took me forever to find where you posted the photos of your bag but I finally did! :lol It turned out so well. The colors your chose are beautiful and it looks like the striping is perfect. I can't wait to see how it will look when it's lined and has the handles attached. Great job!

Hers is an i-cord. It's a knit tube.

Thanks! Though that tool seems to have a lot of negative reviews so I'm a little weary of it. I suppose I could possibly do some of that K craft if I *had* to. lol Or...how 'bout doing them in a round like some of the amigurumi animals I've done? Might be tedious but it'd work nonetheless. I'll see what I'm up for when I get there. Thanks!!

Well thank you all for the wonderful comments!! I will try to answer some questions here now, okay the final measurements are 10" height, 10" length, that is with it pleated, and 5" Width.

Okay for the handles I am going to use the braided leather, I got some already, I have to braid it of course. And to fasten the handles, my husband came up with the idea of using Grommets,:think , which of course I had NO idea what they were, but now that I have them in from of me, I see, they are solid brass and 2 piece, where you hammer a hole through, and one goes on one side, and the other pounded into it from the other side., it makes like the hole in a tarp has, they look nice :cheer . I have to get to Walmart to get a fabric to line it, I am planning on pockets in the lining also, one for glasses, the other for cellphone, on the other side, a little pocket. I also got magnetic closure for it. I sew also, so for me, doing the lining is as fun as the purse.

What kept me going? I MUST say it was a combination of a couple of things, wanting to REALLY have done a FELTED bag, AND another villager is helping me with tapestry, and I REALLY want to learn that, thus this must get done.

For the stripes Roli, I can't really take credit for them, as the wool was a varigated, and that is just how it turned out. I LOVE this bag, but must admit it is too small for my liking, so I am going to pass it on when I am finshed with it :hook

Laurie,

Things have been crazy and I still haven't started :worried

BUT, I did want to say, I think the handles you're talking about will be similar to the one's I posted in Da Fuzzy Bag. Her's are crocheted. You could try those.

I wish I could see the pics of the verigated bag. We're blocked from seeing any of that stuff from work, though. Sometimes if someone has a blog I can go see them, but usually not here on the ville. :(

I'll have to try to remember to check from home.

Let me know if those handles are what you're looking for. I'm just curious. :)

I think the handles you're talking about will be similar to the one's I posted in Da Fuzzy Bag. Her's are crocheted.

Not exactly but I'd be willing to try if I even remotely understood her directions! LOL Any help with that?? ;)

First I have to report that I went to Michaels on my lunch hour and used my 40% off coupon to buy 1, count em, 1 skein of black patons wool. :lol

I need to look at the instructions to figure out how much it will take, but my plan is to make it all black, with a lime green trim around the top and lime green handles....that's the plan, anyway. :lol

Well, Da Fuzzy handles, I've never actually made this. But, let's see what she says...ok..I guess it's NOT what you were looking for. It sounds like she made 3 chains. For each she used 2 strands of the same color held together and then she twisted the 3 chains together after they were felted. Hmm...that's a little disappointing. :think

What do you use to make an "i tube"? I saw something at Michaels today that looked like it made a tube, but I don't remember it being called anything like that. It was over by the crochet hooks/knitting needles. Sorry, I don't know much about it, though.

If you find a way to do it, let me know because that's what I wanted to use for mine. Worst case, I guess I could TRY the chains from Da Fuzzy Bag and see if it works. Do you think they'd be sturdy enough, or would they stretch?

This is going to take some thought....

1 skein of black patons wool. :lol

If you find a way to do it, let me know because that's what I wanted to use for mine. Worst case, I guess I could TRY the chains from Da Fuzzy Bag and see if it works. Do you think they'd be sturdy enough, or would they stretch?

I typically buy one skein at a time with my weekly coupon too. I don't crochet much faster than that anyway! Plus I have multiple projects (and let's not forget the rubbermaid bin full of yarn that's not being used for anything currently either! LOL).

I was worrying about stretching too with Da Fuzzy Bag handles. I think I might try either knitting the handles (I don't know much about knitting but I think I could manage the simple knit st for 72 inches...lol) OR I'm going to try to make it in rounds - maybe like 6 or 7 hdc in rounds for however long I need it. Wonder how that'll felt. Maybe I'll do a sample and see how it goes.

I'll let you know when I decide. ;)

Ok, I'm enjoying this bag BUT there is no way I can stand doing round after round of sc...I don't even Like that stitch, and I'm making the bag 2 1/2 times the size in the pattern! so the majority of the bag is HDC. I'm hoping I will have enough yarn to crochet handles, if not, that's an excuse to head back to the lys or else order some online!

Well Kathy, as I said, I'm doing all HDC - course the bag is turning out QUITE large but hey, it's a diaper bag. LOL And I don't know how much shrinkage will occur. ;)

OH - and anyone wanting to do elf eyelash on theirs, Hobby Lobby (sale ends TODAY) has theirs on sale for .99 a piece!!! GREAT sale! :)

Well I used up the three skeins of SWS I had and ran out. I think I made the bottom huge. I'll have to start again...

Archived