Anyone wanna join me? Doing a Well-Traveled Bag (m)

amalapert

I want mine huge, after felting. I carry one now I got in the purse/tote swap a few years ago here at the 'ville, and I love it so much I want one with spring colors. I don't think sc is a great stitch for felting, anyway; because it won't have room to 'tighten up' as much as hdc or dc.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think sc is a great stitch for felting, anyway; because it won't have room to 'tighten up' as much as hdc or dc.

Good point! I've only felted one item but I think you're probably right on this one! I just hope my non-eyelash section felts up nice and tight. This is gonna be a lot bigger than I expected, I think. lolol Oh well. 1st bag ever and only 2nd felting ever. I'm a realist and didn't expect perfection anyway. lol

AND I'm a newbie anyway. I've played around with crochet stitches and started several blankets in the past but never finished one (only made it about 1/3 of the way through). Late this summer, I really got my start into crochet and the projects down in my "completed" section are the only crochet items I've actually completed. ROFL Soooo...I'm quite a newbie. ;)

To me, there is no such thing as 'too big' in a bag. The larger the better in my carry-alls. And they do often carry it all. Sadly, like my mother, I have that 'nature abhors a vacuum' problem. No bag shall go unstuffed, no table or other flat surface shall go uncluttered, etc.

No eyelash for me, I'm not a fan of the fuzzy stuff, and with my colors being 'earthy spring' I don't think it would fit in anyway. What I'm really in a panic about now is that I may need more wool...and I've already got close to $75 invested in this bag.

I've already got close to $75 invested in this bag.

$75??? Yowza!!! Girlfriend, wait for the 40% Michael's and Hobby Lobby coupons!! LOL That'll get you two skeins a week at least (and they do honor each other's coupons!). How incredibly big are you making this thing anyway?? LOL You know, "big enough for the kitchen sink" is just a saying, right? ROFL

I'm using Cascade 220 from a real yarn store...only 9 skeins.

I went and got the yardstick to measure it since you made me curious. Flat on the bed it's 34" so that makes the diameter what..68? And I've got 8 inches altogether or about 6 from the bottom up the side.

I found another coupon and bought yet another skein of black. Now I'm up to 2! :lol

I started making my bag, too. I'm on row 3!! (Go me, Go me) :cheer

I'm working on another CAL, so I'm trying to divide my time. I think I'm going to work on the other CAL at home and my bag here at work. (When my boss is out at meetings, I sneak in a little crochet) :wink

I won't be able to crochet much until next week, but I hope to get a little bit done on my bag in between some charity crocheting and hubbys visit (haven't seen in 9 months and its his first time seeing Tim since his accident).

I made some potholders for a friend, and had LOTS of yarn left over ( I used Cascade 220), so I decided to try this pattern. I'm using an H hook to get the right size - if I'd used any bigger, I might have had a suitcase!!! :think:eek

I'm going to have to go to my LYS and pick up another ball of the main color to finish the top and make the straps, but I'll have it finished this weekend. Can't wait to show you!!! :yay

How are you all doing your straps? I've been trying to decide how I'll do mine...

I've got the bottom finished and I'm working my way up the sides now. I have a K hook, but I had to make my chain 51 and I did 25 rows, instead of 20. My measurements were way shorter than what it said in the pattern. I also thought I wanted the bag to be longer than what she said.

So, I'll see how it turns out.

I ended up doing this for straps....

ch5, join. Work hdc into each chain until length desired (the knit instructions for the bag I was copying said 72 inches so I did roughly that). It made a long snake looking thing.

I'm felting now - wish me luck! OHHHHH darn it - forgot to take the before picture!! Geeez. Where is my brain? Oh yeah, the baby in my tummy hid it. lol

Ahhhhhhhh - it felted beautifully!! Straps are great!! :)

While it dries, do I have to stuff it tightly? What I did is a smaller base, then increased sts up the sides so it has this kinda billowy look to it. Is it ok to just let the billows dry freely or do I have to stuff those tight with something?

Thx!

Here it is!! :) I'm quite proud of it. In hind sight, I'd do the handles longer (I did 72") but it works and I can redo them easily enough if I decide to down the line. LOVE my new diaper bag!!

mybag.JPG

:eek Oh my gosh, Laurie!

That's awesome! The handles came out PERFECT! Your bag looks great! I love it! :cheer:clap:D

I'm not counting rows on mine, but I'm about 4 inches up the sides. I'm doing mine all in black (no eyelash) and I'm going to do a different trim around the top. I'm going to do my handles like you did your's. They came out so good!

Did you stuff yours while it dried? Oh, I can't wait to finish mine, now. hehe

Geee, thanks! LOL

My handles are big enough to sling it all the way over my shoulder like a purse but not a whole lot of wiggle room (unless you're a really small person) so I'd make them longer than 72" - I think 80-85 would be great (you can always cut them down too). And they're thick and sturdy. :)

I just draped my bag over a Sams-sized plastic box of animal crackers (rofl - motherhood is indeed the necessity of invention). So I didn't stuff it and it's not as stiff as I would have liked - it doesn't stand up on it's own but I think that's the fun fur...'course my friends bag stands up. Hmm...maybe those increase in sts did it. Who knows? Anyway, it works for me and I'm happy with it. ;) If I do another one, I won't increase sts and I'll stuff it while drying - might make a big difference. Good luck!

I'm going back to the couch - the kids and I are sooo sick. uugh..

Didn't have much time to crochet this week; but I got a few rounds done. I just keep going and going and going. Then I change colors more or less at random and keep going and going and going. Thank goodness I'm doing a stitch I enjoy (hdc) and not the dreaded sc. Hopefully this week I can pick up the pace a little bit. I do want my bag ready for Spring.

I didn't get much done this weekend, either. I did a few rounds, too, but not as much as I would have liked. We had to put my cat to sleep on Friday. (if you're interested, I did a little tribute to him in my blog).

We were out of town and had to do a little funeral for the kitty. Plus we had other things going on. I carried it with me and worked on it when I could. My MIL is always excited to see what I'm working on. She can't wait to see the bag when I'm done. :)

D.

Well I'm still waiting patiently to see your bags! :) I'm excited to see how they turn out. I might even (if I'm ever well enough to face society again...cough, cough, wheeze) get some more yarn and do one without the fun fur for a purse for myself. I bought a purse last summer that was supposed to be a temporary fix and I'm still carrying it around. ICK.

I also did mine in HDC and it went pretty fast in hind sight...and shrunk up pretty well too. ;)

Donna, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. My heart goes out to you.

Woo Hoooo, I got hubby to put on the grommets this morning after I got up at 6 am and lined the bag...here it is, I used the leather straps, braided it..I hope you enjoy it..

th_100_0679.jpg

th_100_0680.jpg

and here it is with Ariel, just to show you size..but hey Ariel is cute and got a makeover..lol

th_100_0681.jpg

JoAnn, that is fantastic. I wish I could say mine is done but...I did work about 4 rounds this week. yeah, pathetic, I know but I have been SO exhausted. Proves I should keep taking my royal jelly and not let the fibromyalgia get the best of me.

Archived