teaching my 6yr old

ok so i just started crocheting about 4-5months ago and i really love it. my oldest daughter loves to sit there with me and watch me crochet (which i love that she does :manyheart but sometimes is frustrating because im trying to concentrate:sigh ). well she keeps asking me when im going to teach her and i am a little nervous and excited at the same time. she is the type that kinda gets frustrated if something doesnt go her way and she is also on the stubborn side (that, sad to say, she gets from me:yes ).

so my questions are the following. 1. is it to early for her to learn? 2. should i give her a bigger hook to start out with? 3. any other tips for teaching her?

also, i seen one of those Knitters Looms at the craft store the other day and was wondering if I should get her that to start out on.

thanks for your help and advice.:hook

Of course, each child is different but my mother taught me to crochet a 5 yo. She started me off with an H hook and gave me a small ball of red yarn from her stash and she just let me make whatever I wanted. Ended up with a belt that she added long fringe to (:blush hey, it was the early 70s) for me and I wore it everywhere! I say let her go for it kids learn so quick now is the best time, IMO :D

They are never too young to learn! Actually it depends on the child but, if they are showing a real interest give them a hook (H or I) and some plain WW yarn and show them how to chain. But make sure to show her that she can make things with just those chains (Necklace, bracelet, hair ties) this give her a sense of gratification and completion. Once she has mastered the chain then move on to single stitch and let her make more bracelets and necklaces.

I learned when I was 5 thanks to my aunt who was awesome! That summer she taught me the basics and then how to make Granny Squares. We made a GS lapghan and I still remember the feeling I had when we completed it. I've been hooked ever since:hook

My Gram taught me when I was about 6 or 7. Luckillly, we're both lefties. If I remember right, she actually helped guide my hands through the first few chains and then once I got that, through the first few sc. I probably could have 'gotten' it with purly verbal directions, but at that age I don't think I could have done it just by watching. I'm prety sure I was started with a 'finger chain' of some sort. I'd also been doing plastic grid needlepoint for a bit at that point too, so already had a feel for how yarn behaves.

I didn't stick with it when she first taught me, because that first row of sc is hard and being the perfectionist I am and impatient, wanted that instant gratification thing.

I think they key is patience and not pushing it too hard. Get her started, let her fiddle with it on her own and see what happens.

I agree with everything that's been said! Even if the child doesn't take off with it right away, as long as you keep the atmosphere positive and encouraging, it will plant a seed for them to come back to it later. But my just-turned-7 yo started learning a year ago, and she's improved in spurts over the last year. She now loves making dishcloths for me :)

I'm not crazy about the knifty knitter, myself. I'd only go with that if the child didn't enjoy crocheting. That thing has it's own set of frustrations, imo :(

that is a VERY valid point that mizduck mentioned that i forgot to. i am (of course by my screen name) a leftie and she is a rightie.

also, i like your idea angieInCA of letting her make necklaces and hair things from just the chain. of course she is a girl so she already LOVES :manyheart that stuff. she even tries to steal my jewelry:yes .

i think im just going to start her out making a chain until she get use to holding the yarn and working the hook then go from there. take it as a step by step process type of thing.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! for your help and advice. It is very much appreciated:hug . I will let you know of her and I's progress.

One thing I forgot to add earlier. After she get the hang of making a chain and you think she is ready to start on sc. Do the firts row for her. That is the hardest thing for a young newbie to master. The first row is always very hard till you get used to making the stitches. Let her make a chain. You do the 1st row of sc then let her practice making sc in your stitches.

Just remember to keep it loose. The last thing you want is for her to get frustrated and give up because the tension is an issue. They can learn tension later. Learning the stitches is the most important part. I use this philosphy with everyone I teach. I tell them to get comfortable with the stitches first and later I will show them how to make it tighter. I haven't lost a newbie yet :D well except for my own DD who refuses to even try. But why should she, she has me making everything she wants ;)

This is some great info. I tried to teach my niece to crochet last year (She's almost

8), and completely forgot until afterward that she's left-handed!!! :oops She asked me about it again recently, so I'm definitely gonna give it a shot since she's interested. All of the things y'all have said I will keep in mind, especially the idea of a "finger chain." :tup That's a good one!

Should really help to get the gist of making a chain. And controlling the yarn with a finger has got to be easier than a hook when you're beginning, right? :think

I taught my 7 year old daughter how to chain a year ago and now she's finally starting to learn single crochet. This is the funny part: she's right-handed, but she crochets left-handed! I am a lefty but I didn't realize how she was doing it until I watched her do a row a few weeks ago. I asked her if she wanted to switch hands and if it felt weird to her, but she said it was perfectly normal-feeling and she liked it. I explained she'd have an easier time reading charts and diagrams but she said she wanted to keep using the left hand! I find that interesting and amusing. :)

She also really likes to make little blankets and scarves for her dolls and stuffed animals...you might see if your daughter wants to do that down the road. It's motivating for them to make things for their toys.

I got a Knifty Knitter kit a few weeks ago and started my 3 kids out on it yesterday...they all loved it (7, 6, and 4 years old) and it was especially nice for my 6-year-old son because he gets frustrated after doing "finger chains" for more than 5 minutes. He loved the Knitter. I'm new at it so what problems does it have that some of you mentioned? I'm curious.

Archived