Please explain intarsia vs. tapestry crochet

everkutz

Question

9 answers to this question

I'm just learning tapestry crochet, but what I've seen so far contradicts Aggie May's answer. The patterns are stitched in by changing colors and carrying the other color(s) in tapestry. I've never heard of intarsia, so I can't say anything about that. There's a CAL getting ready to start up to make a small tapestry item if you're interested in learning. Just go to the Crochet-along section to read about it. I think we're waiting for the leader to get back to us. ;)

Here's a great link about tapestry crochet: http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/

Have fun!

Judy :hook

Edited to give you this site I just found: http://www.knitting-and.com/crochet/tunisian-intarsia.htm

It shows how to do intarsia crochet. Obviously since I've never heard of it I've never tried it, but I'll bet somebody here does it!

Hi Kelley,

I found this explanation of intarsia on wikipedia. They are describing intarsia knitting. They describe a method that appears to change colors, however the thread isn't carried into sections of another color. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intarsia_(knitting)

I haven't tried this method- sounds interesting though.

:cheer Intarsia is where the blocks of colours are separate and look the same on both sides of your knitting or crochet. Threads are not carried behind the work.

Fairisle is when colours are carried across and used as they are needed.

Tapestry is like when you do a Tapestry on cloth, the colours are added to a plain, generally SC background. Generally done in Cross stitch.

Hope this is a little clearer.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

The main difference is that tapestry crochet is done in sc and intarsia is done in tunisian. Tapestry is done with sc, working over unused colors and changing colors as needed in the row to make a pattern or design (see here or here for examples). Intarsia is done in tunisan stitch and colors are also changed as needed in the row but are not worked over (see here for example or here for instructions). Entrelac, which is also done in tunisian, is similar looking to intarsia but is done differently and color changes are made every row rather than within the row (see here for example or here for instructions).

Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain. I was under the impression that intarsia was graphing out a design and then working that design into your crochet or knit item. Not so. A brief definition I found for intarsia says:

1. A knitted design resembling a mosaic that is visible on both sides of a fabric.

I guess that definition is partly true.

Thanks again!

Oh boy! Lots of opinions on this subject and none are wrong.

This video  pretty much explains about Tapestry, Intarsia and Fair Isle crochet. Worth viewing if you have the time.

Archived