Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is step 2 attaching the block/wedge/block to the star.

Here is a photo to show you how I did it. As you come to the wedge you have to fudge it a bit to make it to the ch2 space(middle of wedge) level with your dc on your star. I got my daughter to spread it out a bit so you could see the crochet while I took the photo.

P1020072.jpg

Wendy - yes, I did get them attached. Yes, I did have my block-wedge-blocks together.

My problem is in the directions, it has you attach the block, then it getss into attaching the wedge, then it says to "GO BACK TO *" and repeat 7 times. Well, you start at the "*" at the beginning of the point of the next B-W-B group. The instructions never tell you how/where to attach the 2nd block of your B-W-B grouping before going back to *.

Either way, I fudged it quite well. I got them ALL joined. AND then I did the sc border around. AND I've attached 1 of my NOT-half-grannies. The instructions there tell you to sc 3 in the ch-2 space, then space out 28 more sc, then sc in sp, sc in join, sc in space. That gives you 30 sc on each edge, plus one in each point/recess. That's too many. I know it's nit-picking, but one shouldn't have to FUDGE while you're going through a pattern. The numbers should add up. There should be a total of 28 sc on each side, including the ones in the points.... Then things add up.

I can't locate my camera right now, plus it's too dark. But I'll have a pic tomorrow to show A LOT of progress! I am SSOOO thrilled with it so far (aside from wrong stitch counts in the book, :lol )

I am a very ANALytical person, so I follow directions to a "T". I expect them to be right, especially in a published book!

Maybe I'll apply for the position of pattern tester at a major publisher. Could you imagine? They supply the yarn and the patterns, I just get to analyze them in my nit-picky way. :think I think I've found my calling! :lol

Krystal Im so glad you have it worked out. I was a bit lost as to where you had trouble. This pattern has had lots of errors and I think some of the wording hasnt been right. I cant wait to see yours Im sure its absolutely beautiful.

Your upto me now. Im busy with my amish basket pattern and last night did some of my casablanca.

Wow! I just read the last few pages of this CAL and the pictures look great, but it sounds like tough going! From what I can see it's worth the effort, though. I'll have to go looking for this book so I can attempt my own sometime in the future!

Great job everyone.

That is beatiful, Im new here and bought the book , still have to get the yarn, I been reading your all the post , and a little scarred to start, seems like there are some mistakes in the pattern. But Ive just got to give it a try.

Krystal, I am so glad you made it through. Sorry I wasn't online yesterday to help you. I was in my own private little hades. The car I won the bid on Thursday didn't get approval for sale til yesterday afternoon and there are time constraints with payment and pick up and we are going out of town Sunday for a few days. So I needed to get the car payment set up before we left so that I wouldn't incurr additional charges. Then I get home and the heater had broken and my DD didn't call us earlier when the heating supply company was open. So we froze all night. My son went and got the parts this morning, and fixed the heater. So you can see we had a great friday. Now after all that ranting....

Aussie the star is beautiful in the brown and teal you choose, and I love the bright colors you will be doing the next one in. The colors I choose for my second one is similiar to your first one.

Krystal, That looks beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished. The dark colors for the whole half square really makes it pop.

Ok, I have a picture! A day late, but oh well!

th_bluestar0224.jpg

You can see the one "NOT HALF" granny in the back left. I used the light and dark variegates and it created this cool blending effect.

Krystal that is Beautiful and I love your full square block there.

Got all but the last borders of the not-half grannies done. I'll work on the last color tonight, as I also messed with the row count/color. I have two rows of the dark on the outside, so I have to make sure I am ready to join when I do that last round...

Then I have to do some serious planning and thinking to get teh next step correct...this is where I started changing the pattern!

Well, I have all my "not-half" grannies attached, my star now looks like a star again with all of its points...

Tomorrow is back to school, so back to teaching for me. I hope to get the first round of my next border on (this is where I diverge from the pattern completely) and figure out how many of which row and type I need to do. I think I"ll be drawing it...

If you're concerned about dyes bleeding, you've got some options. One, Synthrapol is your friend. It keeps excess dye in suspension so that it doesn't stain your fiber. Two, there are products out there called "dye magnets" that the dyes settle on preferentially, thereby keeping them away from your precious projects. :fluffy

Athba -

The yarn requirements are on the first page of this CAL. You can safely buy that many, and have enough yarn. It calls for 14 oz of the variegated, but you won't use that much if you don't do the "snipping" of the darkest color (which I don't think any of us did). I used a whole separate variegated, in the same shades, but it wasn't really planned that way. I just happened to find it in my stash and said "why not?"

Is Tracey still around?

Because I've gotten to the border part, and I remember her saying something...

Well, actually I'm still PLANNING, but...

What I need to know is this: In the instructions, doing the corner border it has you go up the point 2sc for each row of the corner border. But there are only 10 rows, which would be 20 sc, but there are well over 20 sc there. (More like 28 or so!) So, how many sc did YOU go up the point when you started each new row?

For example, it has you go "back" 2 sc from the wedge point at first, then do row 1. At the end of row1, you skip 2 sc, then sl st 2 more (the skipping for row 3)... Did you skip or sl st more than that?

Oh, PLEASE, help me! LOL!

th_bluestar0226.jpg

Here is a picture of it on my bed, with the points attached. You can see where I got the idea of the yellow (bedspread). Right now I'm goint to do 2 or 3 rounds of the light blue around what I've got there. Then on to more planning, after I hear from Tracey.

I'll go hunting back a few pages, I think she discussed it. It might make more sense now.

Archived