Attempting a snowflake

iSiSfae

last night i went out to buy some yarn and they didn't have what i was looking for, so i decided to pick up some shiny, pretty crochet thread and a size 7 steel hook.

i've NEVER done thread crochet before and i have a pattern for a beautiful snowflake (it's in The Crochet Stitch Bible) and want to make it really badly.

as i said... i've never ever done thread crochet before... i'm actually quite scared, to tell the truth.

any pointers before i go off and begin! i have no clue what i'm getting myself into!

fyi: the smallest hook i've used is a D on worsted weight yarn.

My best advice is just think of it as skinny yarn. Don't tighten up to much and just have fun. You know how to crochet so it's just a matter of size. Go fo it and enjoy........................................... Oh one note, It's adictive...................................................................:D

I agree with Kathy...once you've finished that first little thread item you'll be an addict. Just start doing it...and remember to take a breath once in a while...I get so wrapped up in my thread pieces I almost turn into a ball myself, unless I remind myself to relax.

If you are anything like me *tending toward perfectionism* you might be disappointed at first with the quality of your thread work, at least I was at first. I just kept at it and the more I used thread them more my hands got used to it. Now, I love making doilies, snowflakes and bookmarks. So it's true it's addicting :)

okay, i finished the snowflake and it's so pretty! i turned the fastening end into a loop and it's now hanging on the tree! i'm so proud of myself!

it wasn't as hard as i thought... actually it was easier to see the chains and stitches in thread than in yarn!

my only complaint... the thread twists around itself so badly it's almost impossible to use! any suggestions on how to avoid this?

thanks all for your support and advice!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem! I was told to use a paper towel holder or toliet tissue holder and it'll allow the thread to unwind without becoming tangled :) hope this helps I mean to try it on my next thread project

Archived