How strange would it be

Donna's crochet Designs

Question

How strange would it be to incorporate a slinky into crochet?

I'm so bored with the same old same old and was thrying to think of any new to do. I've tried crocheting with ribbon, hemp (think jewelry) and even torn blue jeans but it just leaves me a little blagh.

Please don't think I want to go all arty. I just want a challenge.

Does anyone know if sculpy (after it has been baked) is washable and dryable?

What about motion. Anyone figure out how to make a toy move?

Please help!

14 answers to this question

Donna, I think it would be neat to crochet around a slinky. Although the metal ones might 'eat' through the yarn if they're used.

I've been eyeballing those flourescent light bulbs that are more energy efficient than regular incandescent. The ones that have the spirally bottom...I keep thinking of crocheting a top for one when one burns out and make a hanging decoration.

I say, if you want to try it, GO FOR IT!! That's the fun of crochet, and being creative.

Can't answer about the clay...

As for making dolls move, I've done one or two with 'moveable' arms. I think it was (a teddy bear in my case) using strong yarn (heard dental floss is really good), go out through one arm, go back in through the arm (skipping a stitch of course), through the body, then through the other arm and back.

Sally

hahah i had to laugh when reading this.

I have been working with alternate fibers too. letss see first their was my hessian tote then I have something on the hooks from hemp cording, I have a floor rug on the hooks made from seam binding. I have something (dont know what yet) on the hooks with jewelry wire. lol lol

I am here with you too I am quite bored by conventional.

However, I dont think you can wash sculpty. I am pretty sure its hand wash only after you finidh a product, because thats how you wash before painting if needed.

as for moveable if you go to a toy shop (we have a great mom and pop one here) where they sell parts for doll houses and such, most will have moveable doll parts, such as the hinges and stuff. you probably are not talking like a pinnocho type doll, but they have several several options.

They have small "travel" sized plastic slinkies now too...might be a good way to try out your ideas. A slinky swatch :)

Re: sculpy- that stuff can get wet after it bakes, but that's about it. If you paint it first with an acrylic paint it should stand up to handwashing, but not a machine wash and dry- at least not for very long!

i bought a book site unseen called alterknits, i dont do a lot of knitting, but it was all about creativity. they knitted with crepe paperstreamers, leather lacing, and linen and paper japanese yarns? the last one was to make covers for a string of christmas lights the tiny ones, there are always strips of plastic bags, and wire. i guess the question i would pose is "does what you make have to be something that will be washed?

they even made a crepe paper crown. now that is inventive! what about fishing line? in this book they made a screen for a door with it, way cool! you could add in beads or trinkets or the skys the limit i would say! take a trip to a hardware store or your local crafts store and see what items you can find that "arent" conventional to crochet with i would be curious to see what everyone comes up with, do i hear a challenge? lol (Wink) dani

ohhhh and what about all the things you could crochet around, rocks? (for a door stop) bricks, metal tubes, plastic tubes? a book? a stuffed fabric teddy bear and give him a new hair-do and sew the crocheted hair-do on after, ok thats ones out there, but think out of the box. rework his hands and feet in crochet, give him duck feet. ok ok thats really out there but ya get what i am saying? i hope, lol dani

just look at an item and see it in a new light and ask "how can i change that to something totally new? how can i better that item with crochet? how can i make it really cute or bizarre? skys the limit!!!!!!!

I think the Slinky would be great to crochet around kind of like Candy cane covers see here:

http://huggems.netfirms.com/candycane.html

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/crochethook/patts/cancanes.html

I've never done Crochet stuffed animals, but when you said slinky, I can envision the Dog from Toy Story Seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000FU6MVG/105-2343396-9146027?SubscriptionId=0GKY5T9AP29X0E3X4XG2

There would be whole array of other animals that you could make in a similar fashion.

Let us know if you try anything that works well. Sounds like fun, but I have a pattern that I need to write, a layette to make, 2 hot air ballons to create and make....well you all know where this is going.

The candy cane covers are insteresting, thanks for sharing. I've done a marshmallow monkey and am now working on a sort of dog. I did get on ebay and found this old advertisment for slinkies from back in the 50's

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLINKY-TOY-CHRISTMAS-GIFT-ART-Vintage-Ad-1957_W0QQitemZ130065334873QQihZ003QQcategoryZ37835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I think the row of toy soilders is really tempting.

I had a friend of mine crochet a shawl and booties for a stuffed flamingo toy she gave me. Seriously, my office is really cold and Pinkie is a tropical sort of critter. It only seemed appropriate.

I'm still waiting on a crochet thyroid.

I am so impressed!! I've been browsing through, and there are so many new fresh and exciting ideas here. I thought I was being creative altering some old patterns, but you all have me in awe. Now I am looking around the house to see what I can do with alternate things Thanks for giving this old cro a booster shot.

Archived