Buttons: which side for boy/girl?

JCB

Question

8 answers to this question

people still do this? i will have to keep a watch on this thread :) i thought that was all old school and it didn't matter anymore. maybe it does!! will be checking back to see what others have to say about it (and of course see the answer!)

people still do this? i will have to keep a watch on this thread :) i thought that was all old school and it didn't matter anymore. maybe it does!! will be checking back to see what others have to say about it (and of course see the answer!)

Well... I didn't think it would matter either, But... these sweaters are for a pair of stuffed bears, one of which is male and one is female, so I thought they would look cute done opposite. It's the BICO pattern, so it will be pretty obvious.

Joan

:cheer Can you work it out from your own clothing?

The boy bear will not like his buttoning on the girl side but the girl bear will not really care.

Same with humans, the boys care but the girls dont.

Buttons on the left for girls and on the right for boys.

Maybe this was just started , back in the old days, when women were sick of the men borrowing their frilly shirts so they swapped the buttons over, then the men could not work out how to do the buttons up, hence they stopped borrowing the clothes.

Well this theory is as good as any I have ever seen.:lol

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Maybe this was just started , back in the old days, when women were sick of the men borrowing their frilly shirts so they swapped the buttons over, then the men could not work out how to do the buttons up, hence they stopped borrowing the clothes.

Well this theory is as good as any I have ever seen.:lol

Have fun.

Actually it comes from the fact that most men dressed themselves and most women had maids or dressers. This is about a time when buttons were just coming into fashion/general use and applied to the upper classes. I do find it is generally easier to do/undo *men's* buttons with just one hand

:cheer Thank you Darski, that would make sense.

:think I suppose way back, they just threw things over and wrapped, then they would have maybe used ties, then along came buttons to keep people amused for hours.

:cheer When I was a little kid, I just loved my mothers button jar.

:cheer I still love buttons.

Have fun.

Archived