stiffening ornaments

angelfire

I need to stiffen some ornaments I crocheted in thread to send to family in Florida. I know that you can use spray on lacquer...question...after stiffening or as a stiffener...and can you actually dip item in regular liquid lacquer and have it work?

I spreay my ornaments after they are stiffened with lacquer.

I have never dipped them in lacquer.:think but you can try it. The problem here is the humidity and just stiffening them, they more than likely go limp.

You could try dipping one in lacquer and see how it works.

By the way, let me know how this turns out.:hook

I have never tried using a laquer to stiffen items....what kind do you use? So far, all I have used was the product called "Stiffy" and the "Stiffen Quik". If I use layers and layers of the "Stiffen Quick" it does come out pretty hard. I am interested in the laquer you are using :think Has anyone used a heavy duty starch to stiffen?

I have never tried using a laquer to stiffen items....what kind do you use? So far, all I have used was the product called "Stiffy" and the "Stiffen Quik". If I use layers and layers of the "Stiffen Quick" it does come out pretty hard. I am interested in the laquer you are using :think Has anyone used a heavy duty starch to stiffen?

I use stiffy myself, then spray them with lacquer. The reason for the lacquer is that down here with the humidity, they have a tendency to go limp. The lacquer keeps them from doing that. It helps to protect them.

I use lacquer in a spray can that I bought at Michaels or Joanns.:hook

I tried just stiffeningn with two coats of spray lacquer and it didn't stiffen them at all. My DH dipped all of mine last night when I was sleeping as a surprise and now I am really worried that he ruined my ornaments.

Daisy, I have heard about using boilable starch for doilies...so that may work for ornaments too as along as you laquer them...it might work...I think I would try on something really small though.

Wow...I have never heard of the use of Laquer to stiffen ornaments. I used to use the sugar, water method....then i found a product called "Linit"....in the laundry aisle. It's liquid starch. If you use it straight from the bottle, it makes for a very stiff doily. I've also used spray starch right on the doily....for the small one's, like snowflakes.

I never tried laquer...I am assuming that you use a water based laquer? For some reason, it makes me feel a little uneasy for laquer is toxic, is it not? If an item is laquered, can it be washed? If put in the mouth by a child, or pet, would it harm them? I dunno, I still like Linit, oh, and I have also used white glue thinned w/ water, and that also worked very, very well. (If you are looking for SUPER STIFF).

I have no idea about stiffing with laquer.,,,,I use stiffy -n- love the results. A balloon would help with the drooping. But with a laquer I don't know, might pop with the rubber balloon. Meaning the rubber might melt? just don't know. You could try making a ball and doing the things you want to know and see what happens.

I have used the sugar/water method but my ultimate favorite is tacky glue and water, it dries clear and it's sooooo easy. I mix it about 1 part glue to 3 parts water. It's nice because I can make it in small amounts easily.

Sugar and water doesn't work in all climates.. coming from the humid south I learned this the hard way :-/

I've used a spray stiffener that works ok (ish) but I really want to try to white glue/water method and see if that works any better. Don't think I'd be brave enough to use lacquer.

The lacquer is used after the piece is stiffened. I use stiffy, then after it is stiff and dry, I spray it with lacquer to keep it stiff, not to make it stiff.

Humidity plays havic with all the stiffeners available. In order to keep them stiff, you use lacauer.:hook

I have to admit that the lacquer idea of my DH upset me at first. What happened after they dried and I removed the styrofoam is that I have slightly stiffened ornaments that will last for years...I personally like the effect...and will cherish both the ornaments and my DH . i am sending a dozen to Florida...that is why the lacquer as a thought to begin with. I will stiffen them first next time...but these 18 will be very special to my family for years to come because of the addition of my hubby's dear thoughts. Dipping them in lacquer instead of spraying actually worked well. He used our kabob skews and after dipping hung them upside down on a hanger outside and then after they dipped all night..brought them in and finished drying in our vwentilated bathroom with the door shut.

• 3 weeks later...

I use glue to stiffen mine. Mix equal parts white glue and water in a ziploc bag, put the snowflakes in there for a few minutes to soak, then take them out and pin them to a saran covered piece of foam core until dry. They come out perfect, and I've never had a problem with humidity.

Archived