what does sp mean?

cherinec5

Question

i want to make this afghan but i am a new crocheter so i wanted to read the pattern first to make sure i understood it all b4 i started. here's the pattern:

http://iamtotallyobsessedwithyarn.blogspot.com/2006/01/granny-square-pattern-with-pictures.html

i am having trouble understanding all of round 2 espeically where it says sp?? what does that mean??? can someone please explain this round to me plz??

12 answers to this question

"sp" stands for "space". When the pattern says do something in the ch-1 sp, it means to work your stitch in the place where the chain is. As I understand it, you don't work it into the stitch itself, but more like around the space. I put my hook under the space and pretend like it's the "v" of a normal stitch. You will work your stitches like normal, but the yarn will enclose the space instead of just the "v". Hope that makes a little sense :)

:cheer SP = Space.

The CH1 SP in your pattern is the space formed on the previous row when you did Ch1 between the groups of Stitches.

A SP can be formed by any number of CHs.

Most patterns have a list of Abbreviations but now that people are just writing their own and publishing them on the Internet, they seem to forget that not all crocheters know these things.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Common Abbreviations,

SP = Space.

SK = Skip.

ST = Stitch.

CH = Chain.

SC = Single Crochet.

DC = Double Crochet.

TR = Treble.

HDC = Half Double Crochet.

TBL = Through Back Loop.

FPDC = Front Post DC.

BPDC = Back Post DC.

YO = Yarn Over.

Is okay. I had a pattern that said SO and had no idea what that meant. But there were a lot of them. I looked it up in one of my stitch books and it said "solomon's stitch". It made no sense. I ended up abandoning the project.

Turns out SO means "Skip Over" :loser *duh*

Oh thank you, you are a godess! You are all godesses! I just tossed aside a whole afternoon's work because I screwed up and did not know why...'sp' is why! I just pulled it out and tried this and voila...perfect! I'm glad because I really liked this baby afghan and was online trying to find something similar but with a pattern in human speak. But even better, I found this site!

And the pictures on nexstitch...Heaven!

Seriously, I am teaching myself to crochet because my nephews and neices are starting to have babies and man, this is HARD. I can DO lots of stitches but when it comes to putting them together from patterns? Oy! Patterns are like a foreign language. I am using 'Crocheting for Dummies' but I'm starting to feel like I don't even qualify for dummy LOL.

Anyway, thanks for these answers.

(I realize that this is an old topic and I'm rambling, but THANK YOU anyway.)

Janie

Scroll to the bottom of this link, and you'll see some examples of spaces in crochet:

http://www.nexstitch.com/a_anatomy.html

another great source for help is U TUBE. i am one of those who does better if i can see it happening and i have found alot of great video help there. just enter U TUBE crochet and you will find lots of great stuff...

Welcome, sometimes sp can mean to place the stitch in the space between two existing stitch. Humans write these things and, as you know, sometimes what seems so obvious to one makes absolutely no sense to another. The folks here will do just about anything to help each other. Frequently the person who asks the question is not the only one to learn something. I knew what sp meant, but had never heard of “NexStitch” I’m sure you will like it here in Crochetville; it’s like a worldwide little hometown. —John Hablinski

P.S. I’m not much of a goddess.

Archived