fingerless gloves: my first felting project!

iSiSfae

hey all. i had to share these as they're too cute!

i made a pair of fingerless gloves with mitten tops a week ago and love them! to me they look store bought and they were not only my first attempt at felting, but my first pair of gloves ever. :clap

Photo8.jpg

(click on the photo to be directed to the pattern)

i used one skein Paton's Classic Marino Wool, worsted weight in peacock (the pic does not really show the beauty of the color). i added twisted cord loops and buttons to help keep the tops down when not used. and i felted them in a wash bag in my top loading washing machine using hot water and a touch of detergent and fabric softener. they were totally easy taking only a few hours per glove and had the pair done in a weekend.

i might make a few pairs to sell on ebay, we'll have to see.

what do you think?

What size hook did you use? I would like to make some felted ones as well and am concerned about the fit after felting. When I felt I don't like to be able to see the stitches so I usually put it through a couple of times. Would you say I needed a larger hook than the pattern calls for?

You did a great job on them!! They look really cozy :D

My question was similar to hookjunky's...just wondering if you used a bigger hook or made the gloves themselves bigger to account for the shrinkage with felting?

What size hook did you use? I would like to make some felted ones as well and am concerned about the fit after felting. When I felt I don't like to be able to see the stitches so I usually put it through a couple of times. Would you say I needed a larger hook than the pattern calls for?

i used a j-hook as the pattern recommended that for larger hand sizes, and i have pretty big hands for a girl (large palms, long fingers):blush and the pattern is very easy to customize (i have ten rows in the palm instead of the 4 or 5 she calls for in the pattern, just b/c my palms are so long)

the gloves fit just right before felting, but they were a bit too long as went down my arm a bit and were hard to wear with a coat. and they stretched so much that they had quite large holes in them that bothered me enough that i decided to felt them. after felting the gloves and the holes became significantly smaller (as can be seen in the pic), with the holes becoming nearly invisible. i shared before and after pics with the pattern creator, and she very kindly posted the pics and my testimonial with the pattern. take a look at the pics, you might be able to judge the sizing.

the only issue i had with the felting, was the mitten top became a bit too tight for me, but it's stretching out nicely from me wearing them almost every morning (it's been quite cold). i also wore them wet and let them air dry on my hands to create a custom fit.

but to be truthful... i was really going blindly into the felting. i was just hoping the holes would become small enough so the gloves could actually keep my hands warm in the chilly new england winters. and the results were quite desirable. i might make a pair for my brother for christmas, but with a few modifications (like making the wrist a bit longer and the palm a bit wider, might even use an N hook as his hands are wider than mine)

i hope that answers your question!

Archived