Large Shell Shawl

princesa66

Question

Chelle, writing up this shawl pattern sounds like a new task for you, lol! (As if you did not already have enough to do.) I love this one, but need patterns. My right brain is only "so" creative..... I'm really just kidding, but I could see this becoming another "circle coat" for you--the "chelle's fan shawl...." <grin>

I was playing with trying to come up with a pattern this morning. I'm really close, but my math must be off somewhere. I'm doing a row of Trc fans with a row of DC in between. I think the ebay shawl is probably Dtrc, but I hate doing those :P The first 3-4 rows work, then all of a sudden my pattern gets lopsided.

It's driving me nuts and I'm determined to figure it out even though it's the last thing I should be doing:blush

We're leaving for vacation Friday morning. I have to work tomorrow and Thursday. I have school tomorrow night. I haven't done my homework. I need to shop for a dress to wear to the wedding we are going to while on vacation. I need to pack. I need to get the house top to bottom clean because my friend is going to be house/pet sitting.

But I will figure out this pattern :devil

Holly

OMG!! I just saw this thread, I have one of these shawls!!! My great-grandmother made it in a spring green fingering yarn. My problem is it has a burned out hole about 4 inches wide right in one of the top corners. So I've been wanting to reproduce it but haven't seen a pattern. I was gonna do my own but now I don't have to!! Thank you Chelle!!!:clap

Holly, that would be great if you came up with a pattern! I would have to think of something else to design to offer free at my website then lol :P I started out (yes, I sidetracked yesterday) with a fan at the bottom, using tr also, then the next row of hdc's in each stitch, then a fan in the first stitch, dc in center stitch of fan, then fan in the last stitch - another row of hdc's across, then fan in first stitch, dc in center of first fan, fan in next dc, dc in center of next fan, fan in last stitch.

However, I think you have to work up to the number of stitches used in the fan because I was doing 11 tr to make the fan, and my very first fan curved in. Use an odd number of stitches for your fan so you have a center stitch to do your dc's. Maybe start out with 5 tr for the first fan, then 7 tr in each fan next, then 9 tr in each fan for next row of fans, and then 11 for the next row and each row after?

I HAVE to quit playing and finish up this set to mail out today. She said it would be nice to have it by Easter - and she's right here in CA so I figure 2 days priority, but cant always be certain!!

Don't let me stop you Chelle!!!! I bet we'd come up with 2 totally different things:cheer

:::sigh::: the most ambitious thing I've gotten done today is bathe the lizzard.

Holly

and for those of you with dirty minds, I have a lizzard. He needed a bath :lol

It's not exact, let's say it's inspired bythe ebay shawl :D

th_fanshawlclose.jpg

th_fanshawlfar.jpg

I did shells (fans??) made up of 7 Trc. I tried doing 9 Trc, it was too bunchy for me. Even with 7, it was a little bunchy, but straightens itself out as you do more rows.

I think the original used D-Trc, it should work with the same math, just adding one more chain to the turning chain for the shell row. I hate doing D-Trc's though so i didn't try it.

Here are my instruction. Let me know if something doesn't make sense or doesn't work. If you find a way to improve on it, please feel free to post! I won't be offended at all.

Ch 5

Row 1

7 trc in first (starting) ch. Ch 3, turn

Row 2

DC in each stitch across, place 2 DC in last stitch. ch4 turn

Row 3

6 Trc in 1st stitch. Sk 2 stitches, place sc in next stitch. Sk 2 stitches, 7 TRC in last stitch. Ch 3, turn

Row 4

Row 5

6 Trc in 1st stitch. Sk 2 stitches, place sc in next stitch. Sk 3 stitches, 7 TRC in next stitch, sk 3 stitches place sc in next stitch, sk 2 stitches, place 7 Trc in last stitch

Row 6

Row 7

6 Trc in 1st stitch. Sk 2 stitches, place sc in next stitch. *Sk 3 stitches, 7 TRC in next stitch, sk 3 stitches place sc in next stitch,* across until you have placed sc in last shell area, sk 2 stitches, place 7 Trc in last stitch. Ch 3, turn.

Repeat rows 6 & 7 until size you would like it to be.

Lemme know what you think!

Holly

Archived