Nursing home CAL ??

craftygirl2

I'm in. I'm making one for my grandmother who just went to a nursing home in August. I also found 3 lapghans at a thrift store and bought them for $2 each. I laundered them and donated them.

A fun fast lapghan is granny squares in different colors and then sc'ed together and edged with a scallop. My aunt makes them up super fast. She does 10 squares across and down.

I have 3 of them that she made for my kids and they are cute. Another is a baby sized mile a minute. They work up fairly fast.

Great idea!

we are off to a great start, ty Ladies and welcome to the CAL....

YES, darski,

shawls will work too....

anything the Elderly can use will work....

SHAWLS,HATS,MITTENS,SOCKS, LAPGHANS......

Any Ideas will be appriciated...

Happy Crocheting

huggz

M.

I'm in! My son age 22 is in extended care for a Traumatic Brain Injury, and my goal is to have something for each of the 65 residents for the holidays. Any help would be appreciated too, if anyone doesn't have someplace to send things. I could use lapghans or scarves. Ages range from 22 up in states from minimally conscious like my son to very aware and active.

Does anyone have a pattern to recommend for squares for this and of course the charity squares challenge?

I would like something simple and not too yarn intensive. I'm searching but I get lost in the searches and never surface again. :)

Yeah, I can always fall back on the timeless granny but I do like something different.

I also read where they prefer that you not use black for charity ghans. Has this come up? I think that the black can fade into the backgroud (boo, hiss, pun) if you are using brights and cheery colours.

I'm making Tim a rectangular granny in Carrot, Black and Aran Fleck. Strange colors but they're the colors of his auto racing team, dark orange and black; so it will work out nicely. Because of the colors needed I had to use Red Heart Super Saver, but for the others I prefer Red Heart Soft or Simply Soft. I have made my peace with Lion's Homespun; but I do like Bernat Boucle too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was reading this, and so, I went to the NH near me. I talked to the director, and she does like the idea.

However, she also requested if I had any kind and color, scraps or whole skeins, they would love it for the eight ladies that knit and crochet there in the NH.

It turns out that some of the nurses are taking finished stuff and unraveling it, just so these ladies would have some yarn to use again.

So, besides your stuff to make, talk to the director at your local NH and see if they have any needleworkers that want some of your stash to do for their own gifts!

I took about a couple of skeins for each lady, and even put them in seperate bags for them to carry around.

Just a suggestion.

Archived