Question About Finished Sizes in Thread~Update

The Shrone

Update

My brain engaged and I recalled that in an edgings pattern book it listed the finished measurements for sizes 10, 20, and 30. So I thought I'd see if there was a consistant ratio. I could not see any, so I pondered this some more. Then my brain woke up and I realized that I had started a doily in size 20 that I had also made in size 40!

After doing some measurements between the two, I calculated there to be about a 20% size increase from size 40 to size 20. So hopefully that will be what I could expect.

Let me see if I can make this clear as mud!

I have a pattern I want to crochet, and the original calls for size 40 thread, but due to my fussy nature, the colors I like are only available in size 20 thread.

Now, if I make it in size 20, I know it's going to be much larger, but before I begin, does anyone know what the rough percentage difference would be for the finished size? Is there a website somewhere that lists what the typical size difference would be between thread sizes?

It's not the type of pattern I could work up a stitch gauge easily because it uses motifs that are joined together in a most unusual way and the over all doily is "leaf shaped". A bit tricky to do the calculations.

I guess I'm looking for a table that would show that if the original calls for size 10, the percentage difference smaller for the smaller thread sizes for the final product.

~ Lori

This would be an extra step. What if you did a swatch of dc in the 20 and in the 40 doing the same number of rows and number of stitches then compared those. It would give you a ball park figure at least.

I've loaned out some of my doily mags to a friend so I don't have them on hand but I know a few of them have what the size you will get if you make in different threads so if you compare those it might help?

I was also going to suggest a test swatch of simple stitches to see what difference there was. Use the same stitch, same # of stitches per row and same row count. Or do one motif and see what the difference is.

Also, it would probably depend on what hook size you used. If you used a smaller than normal hook with the size 20 it might bring the difference in size down as well.

The pattern sounds really pretty.

I read someplace that you can figure about 1/3 larger for each thread size you go up. So in this case it would 2/3rds larger. I have never tested this out, So I make no promises. But I remember thinking this was handy to know.

Lori about a year ago I had a question about thread and emailed the person who does this site. Maybe they can help you too. Their email is at the very bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/micro_crochet.html

Hey, that's me. And unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question offhand. But it's definitely something I should calculate and put up there when I do the next big revision of the website!

BTW, the email address on the webpages is dead. I really need to do at least a small revision of the site, enough to generate a living email link...

Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm a bit late in seeing this. . .

There's a little chart/calculator on Crochet Australia's site that gives an idea of the percentage difference when you change thread size. It does say it doesn't work for all patterns and is only a rough guide, but very interesting all the same.

Sorry I'm a bit late in seeing this. . .

There's a little chart/calculator on Crochet Australia's site that gives an idea of the percentage difference when you change thread size. It does say it doesn't work for all patterns and is only a rough guide, but very interesting all the same.

Thank you, Nightowl! This is what I was looking for! Now to do the calculations!

~ Lori

Archived