Doily CAL

sammimag

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I went back to work on a piece of filet crochet that I had started years ago, and had not done any crocheting since, I had to actually do a small practice piece because I had to get used to holding the thread and keeping my tension again. I made a rose filet bookmark, which is actually way big for bookmark, but a perfect size for practice. After doing that, I no longer felt awkward and felt at home with thread. I have 3 or 4 blue flowers to finish on a motif mat I'm working on, and I need to do it before I let time pass and my guage changes and they don't match, but this is a busy week. Maybe I can squeeze in one while resting just to keep my hands in practice.

I'm on row 13 of "Cafe Au Lait" for my dad and his wife. I'm doing it in I think Ecru or and offwhite, #10 Opera Thread.

I am making an Irish Crochet Lace and Brugges Lace combo in #20 thread. I'm doing a design from Crochet Lace through Pictures. It's an out of print book I picked up recently (Lori / homeburrough recommended it) I highly recommend it too especially if you want to challenge yourself with finer thread.

This will be for my MIL and her husband who has some Irish heritage. I hope they appreciate the work in this. All the ends to work in because there are 36 elm leaf motifs! I have done 5 so far. Working with #20 thread is very slow and I am used to crocheting fairly quickly. If this doesn't teach me patience I will never learn :P

Along with every color I could get of the #10 thread, I did buy a couple in 20 and 30, in white or ecru to play with and see if my brain/eyes could handle it. I will be giving it a try afterwhile, for now, I'm just getting back into the #10, because I was away from hobbies for a long time.

Mind if I join? I've only ever finished a small little practice doily and I think that was with size 3. Last year I decided to make filet name doilies for a bunch of the family but didn't finish them so didn't give them out...hopefully this year! About a month ago I started a doily that is 60 rounds and supposed to be 30 inches across. (Is that still considered a doily?? What was I thinking?!?) I'm determined to finish this bad boy, I only have about 11 rounds left to do! It's gotten so big that it takes me at least an hour to do a round so I really need some encouragement with that one. ALSO my hubby's aunt wants me to make six 7 inch doilies in black for her sons room and two 12 inch doilies for her kitchen. What have I gotten myself into?? Maybe after all that I'll finally be able to make the ones from the Leisure Arts book Extra Special Doilies that I've been really wanting to make. ...Don't even get me started on all the yarn WIPS I also have. I seriously need to join this CAL!!

Hey, Faded Blue, you are making a doily that has reached the size of being able to call itself a "centerpiece"! Is it an online pattern? If so, what's the link? Do you know the name of it, and if it's from a mag, we might have the mag, which one/issue/date/number? :)

I know a lot of people were making the Between Meals Centerpiece, and I will, too, but have a lot of smaller projects I want to cut my teeth on first!

Linda,

Your doilies look fantastic!

Do you have any tricks to share to complete PK's Expresso Doily (the green one) I did that one too and it puckered. I want to make it again but avoid puckering.

What book is the pink one from?

I'm in if you all are still working on this :) currently i'm just finishing this pattern (borrowed link from someone else's site as i can't locate the leaflet at Annie's any longer):

http://www.rexie.com/rexie/Doilies/PassingFancy.jpg

only mine is blue and yellow as opposed to purple and white. i'll be making a matching pair for my lamp tables and will post pics once i'm done with the first. good luck everyone!

fyi - it's the passing fancy pattern from house of white birches a touch of color doilies

size 10 hook and using grandma's best size 10 m. cotton

UPDATE: I just completed this doily and am starting on its twin. :) If you'd like to see my finished project, I've posted it on my blog.

Samantha, thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate it. As for as the green doily I didn't have any problem with it trying to pucker, maybe you might try to crochet a little loser or with a little larger hook. The peach doily is from Leaisure Arts book called"Extra-Special Doilies and the particular name of that doily is "Extravagant". I have done quite a few doilies out of that book and I think they are all such pretty patterns.

Linda, your doilies look great and I especially love the green one with the 'floating' star look in the center. I know you named a doily in a subsequent post, but it wasn't clear if you were referring to that one or not. It would be great if everyone would give the name of their doilies and the source when they share them, because we always want to know!

I just wanted to thank you all for your lovely comments and to let the ones that wanted to know where the patterns came from. The green one is out of the Leisure Arts book Coffee 'N' Cream and the name of the doily is "Espresso" and the white one is out of the Leisure Arts book Extra-Special Doilies and the name of it is "Exquiste" and the peach one is out of the same book and the name of it is "Extravagant" Bless you all!!!!

I wanted to give everyone a heads up. Coffee 'N' Cream is out of print but you can still get copies used on ebay. I did recently. Maybe some stores still have some old ones on the shelves? All the designs in it are by Patricia Kristoffersen.

I've been following this thread since the first although I was pretty busy and not able to work on my doily for a few weeks. Everyone's doilies are so pretty! :manyheart

I was finally able to get one done, there is a picture of it and details on my blog, you can see it here.

I was inspired to try this by MimiFL's version of the doily pattern found on the celt site, the pattern link is here.

Thanks for looking, and keep up the good work everyone! :hook

Kiki,

Your doily is beautiful :)

I just bought Extra Special Doilies by Mary West because I just love the one I have seen here. (I used a 1/2 off coupon from Michael's)

Annie's' Attic has some PK doily books on sale. I'm finding it difficult to resist buying them but I should because we are broke.

Anyone have some doilies to share? I have 1.5 rows left to do on my current doily.

I wanted to give everyone a heads up. Coffee 'N' Cream is out of print but you can still get copies used on ebay. I did recently. Maybe some stores still have some old ones on the shelves? All the designs in it are by Patricia Kristoffersen.

I got me a copy from Ebay, now just have to wait for it to arrive. Thanks so much for alerting us to it being out of print :)

Finally! I had to frog my most recent doily, Cafe- au Lait by PK, at least 3-4 times in the same dang rows I kept missing a stitch. I finished it tonight all except weaving in the ends and the blocking.

Now on to tackle the Irish crochet elm leaves. Only 3 more to go to finish the center ring. Then 28 more after that. :eek I can do it. I can do it.

I just might start on one of the doilies in Extra Special Doilies.

Archived