Red Heart Super Saver

KellyA

Problem: A month ago I wrote to Red Heart that the Bright yellow yarn I was using had white "fuzzies" in it along with yarn "globs", I also sent along samples of my complaint.

They apologized and sent me 3 replacement skeins for my trouble

Now I am working with Red Heart Super Saver in a different color and the skein so far - 1/2 way through has these little knots and now it is starting to show the "globs". :angry

SO my question is do I write them again and complain? Will they think I am taking advantage of their replacement policy?

Has anyone had to complain about their yarn more than once?

I don't doubt that you've had problems twice. But I think they might think that you are just someone who likes to get "something for nothing". Then again, you may not be the first to complain and it could be a problem they have been having recently with this yarn. You have nothing to lose by writing to them again.

It's funny you should mention this as I had the same trouble with 2 Caron One Pounders. I wrote to Caron and they sent me replacements. Now the last 2 Caron One Pounders I have purchased have had the same problem and I don't want them to think I'm just trying to get free yarn so I haven't written them again either. I dunno about this one.

Seems like they'd rather send free yarn than fix the problems...

I would write them - if their yarn is not up to the standard, you shouldn't have to pay for it. Also, I would think they would want to know so that they could look into it and do something about it.

You may want to roll your yarn into balls as soon as you buy it so that you will know right away if it is damaged and you could just bring it back to where you bought it.

AuntBubbels, when I read your post I immediately got a picture of all of my yarn rolled into balls. That would be dangerous. I mean, if someone were to bump my yarn stash they would be killed by the avalanche! LOL!

I've got some Red Heart Soft that had huge runs of a broken ply in the yarn, so I cut it out and have to send it to them; along with a broken plastic hook from my set. Hopefully they'll replace them and all will be well till the next batch of icky yarn shows up.

I would write and/or call as many times as it takes. Be sure you get the name of the person you speak with & write it down. Keep a paper trail. If they don't fix the problem, stop buying their yarn. There are other well priced yarns out there. Besides low price is no good if you can't use the stuff. You just waste money. Let them know you will start using another brand if their quality doesn't come up. Be nice though & also let them know that you had come to expect good quality from their product when you've used it in the past. So many jobs have moved overseas now because labor is cheaper but the quality is so poor, these co. are losing business because of it. Anyway, sure hope this helps.

I feel...whether it is once...twice...ten times...they need to know of the problem.

Maybe you would start by saying...I had a problem with---...explain that you appretiate that one was resolved...BUT...I have the same problem with---...

It is not like you are just doing that for the free yarn...you DO have proof. Tell them you will send it to them.

I would write again, and just send another sample. That shows that there is a problem. I like MissMaggie's suggestion of letting them know up front that it was an issue you had with a previous batch/color and you appreciate their attempt to resolve the issue.

I had a problem with a makeup brand, MAC, and the rude SA's at one of their counters which happened to be the one I frequented most often due to location. I wrote repeated emails to them after the horrible visits where I was treated badly or was made to feel inferior. (IE: because once I stopped in workout gear, I apparently must have been poor or not worth their time as I was utterly ignored for 15 mins). EACH time I wrote, they apologized and sent me a free clear lipgloss and mascara. I so was not after the free product and finally called CS, told them to please not feel the need to send me a package, but to consider some employee training on sales technique and etiquette with prospects/customers.

Sadly, many do take advantage of situations like that just for the free goods. But I certainly feel like if you make your desire up front known, that you would like to see an improvement in quality of the goods you're buying, they will understand.

Thanks to all for the advice. I was talking with my daughter this afternoon who too works in retail. She told me to continue to write to the manufacturer, no matter how many times it happens.

Well off to write another letter to see what happens. I hope they will really look into the matter and correct the issues.

Kelly

Red Heart Super Saver is the only yarn I use because it's cheap, I'm relatively new to crochet, and I'm a poor college student. Every skein I've used have looked nice on the outside but just been a tangled mess inside with knots where new yarn has been joined. I just started working with a new skein of light blue yarn and to my surprise, I've used half of the skein and no knots or tangles yet! I thought they had recently upped the quality of their yarn skeins but from reding this thread, I guess not...

I had broken ply problems with RH Super Savers. I was kinda screwed as it was year old Mexicana I was using for an afghan. It really created problems. But what to do?

I have heard that if you get an inordinate number of knots, or other fiber problems, you are within your rights to call the manufacturer and complain. Since companies like Red Heart make skeins by the truck load, a single problem is likely to be shared among multiple skeins.

Next time, same dye lot or not, I'm complaining.

Archived