Crochet Thread #5 question

luckybmr

I don't find anything called Crochet Thread #5 in my stores. I am looking where you find the card board balls of crochet cotton #30, #20 and #10.

I do find a DMC cotton thread #5 in skeins like DMC floss except bigger. Is this what crochet thread #5 is?

Thanks and Happy Crocheting!

Thank you for the help. The skeins of DMC I found do say Perle Cotton #5 on them, so I guess I now have some crochet thread #5. I got a great deal at JoAnn's today. They had a clearance on DMC perle cotton that came three to a package, originally intended to be used for Linea, which I don't think went over so well at DMC (linea is a kind of stitching a silk material). I don't know what the original price was on these packets, but the first clearance price was $3.00 and I got them for $1.00 per pack. Very pretty assorted colors.

Briana, Perle Cotton #5 is not the same size as crochet thread #5! The naming schemes are different. Perle Cotton #5 is just slightly thicker than a #10 crochet cotton; perle cotton #8 is like a #20 and pearl cotton #12 like a 40.

Though it's very pretty and shiny and comes in lots of colours, it's very loosely twisted and not very sturdy, plus it's expensive as it only comes in small hanks or balls. It's really best for small decorative things that won't be getting a lot of wear or need washing often.

The links posted by Tampa Doll are "real" crochet thread #5.

Smiles,

Briana, Perle Cotton #5 is not the same size as crochet thread #5! The naming schemes are different. Perle Cotton #5 is just slightly thicker than a #10 crochet cotton; perle cotton #8 is like a #20 and pearl cotton #12 like a 40.

Though it's very pretty and shiny and comes in lots of colours, it's very loosely twisted and not very sturdy, plus it's expensive as it only comes in small hanks or balls. It's really best for small decorative things that won't be getting a lot of wear or need washing often.

The links posted by Tampa Doll are "real" crochet thread #5.

Smiles,

Is this the same as this? Because they say that it has a distinct twist, durable and easy to work with. I was going to try the butterfly shawl (there is a CAL) with it, but if it's not as great as they say, I'm going to stick with Opera...

Is this the same as this? Because they say that it has a distinct twist, durable and easy to work with. I was going to try the butterfly shawl (there is a CAL) with it, but if it's not as great as they say, I'm going to stick with Opera...

Anyone? I'd like to know, too!

sakurasaku and Natasha,

I've not seen this Halcyon pearl cotton before; my previous post was about DMC and Anchor brands, which are the only ones I've used. However, going by the large picture of the knot of thread at the top of the page, the Halcyon does look like the same stuff.

Hmm, well, personally I wouldn't use it for anything that would need frequent laundering or be heavily used. I've used it for fridgies and bookmarks, small things that don't need washing and where it really helps to have all those gorgeous colours available :) But curtains, tablecloths, baby blankets and scarves? I wouldn't, myself. I don't think it is strong and it has a tendency to untwist. This is just my opinion, though; someone else may post that they've tried it and loved it!

Smiles,

Very interesting. I've heard the same distinctions made between perle and crochet cotton threads by others. Thanks for posting this. It helps with my project planning.

Thank you all for the information. I found a bunch of DMC Perle Cotton #5 (now I know, not the same as crochet thread #5) at JoAnn's on clearance. Got packages of 3 hanks for $0.50 each pack. I plan I using them for things like flowers or maybe Barbie clothes or something like that. Like it has been noted, not good for wearables or afghans, etc.

Will ave to keep looking for the #5 thread - I am in no hurry for it, just want to try it.

Thanks again and Happy Crocheting!

If I'm not mistaken, the DMC Perle Cotton is generally found with the embroidery threads. I don't think it was made with crocheting in mind. From reading the info at the bottom of the Halcyon page, their Pearl Cotton is totally different. Just the quantities offered suggest it - I doubt you can buy the DMC stuff by the pound! I don't think they are comparable beyond being both mercerized cotton.

HTH

The DMC Perle is found with the embroidery thread. A Barbie pattern book I have calls out Perle cotton for some of the outfits, etc. I think it would be fine for stuff like that or small items - it doesn't come by the pound or in bigger hanks - just the ones that are slightly larger than floss used for cross stitching. Most of the patterns in the Barbie book call for using all plys at once, so that probably gives it enough strength for Barbies clothes. After all, she doesn't wear them often as she is constantly changing jobs so most of her clothes have to be replaced. LOL!

If I'm not mistaken, the DMC Perle Cotton is generally found with the embroidery threads. I don't think it was made with crocheting in mind. From reading the info at the bottom of the Halcyon page, their Pearl Cotton is totally different. Just the quantities offered suggest it - I doubt you can buy the DMC stuff by the pound! I don't think they are comparable beyond being both mercerized cotton.

HTH

Goldi, I agree. DMC Perle Cotton looks to be meant more for embroidery. I just e-mailed Halcyon Yarn about the suitability of their 5/2 Pearl Cotton for crochet, so I will let everyone know what they have to say.

Nightowl, thanks for your info/opinion, too.

Edited to add this link where you can find the response from Halcyon.

Wow - thanks for following through like this, sakurasaku! It's good to know, as Halcyon seems to have a very nice wide color selection. I'm going to keep the link handy for whenever I get out of my budget bind. :hook

Here is the DMC pearl cotton size 5 thread in balls of 49 yards. I have used this several times for crocheting. It is easier to use it this way, than with the regular embrodery thread.

http://www.herrschners.com/products/sku-700116__id-3444.html

They also have have size 10-20 & 30.:hook

Archived