Latest completed ragrug

perigrine

Hiya folks,

Here is the latest rug I have finished. It was loosely based on this rug (if only the shape). I am still working on recreating the 'original' - and now that I have one that is similar I might get further! :cheer

It is made up of two salmon, one sage and two black floral pillowcases and some stuff I picked up at the op shop.

Hi Monique and Welcome to Crochetville! :hug

I love your rug! I have been wanting to do something like this forever. I even bought a 'Braided Rug' book, but have never done one... I have crocheted rugs with yarn; I have crocheted with plastic bags; but I haven't crocheted with rags yet. (I have a lot of craft stuff already, though. I think I would drive my husband crazy if I started saving old t-shirts and stuff too...) :P

Anyway your rug turned out fabulous and I love the colors!! You did a great job!! :clap

Tina

Great job! :cheer Geez, this takes me way back probably 13-14 yrs. I made several rag rugs, and what I called "Rag Pets"...stuffed animals (to sell) from the fabric strips. I made a bunny, bear, goose,etc. never did sell them though. Still have rolls of fabric in a box in the closet somewhere. We have a little fabric shop that sold rolls of precut, presewn strips on rolls. While I loved making the stuff, I found it very tiring on the hands.

Beautiful job! :applause What size hook do you use to make something like this? And how big is your lovely rug?

Thanks!

For this one I used a N/10mm hook with torn strips about 10-12mm (5/8 inch?) - its size works out to be about two feet (the measuring tape has run away again :s ) I worked out that it would have used about 150 yards of fabric, give or take.

Great job! :cheer While I loved making the stuff, I found it very tiring on the hands.

Thanks heaps!

I learnt the hard way to not work on tearing or crocheting for more than an hour or two. Stiff hands are not good for anything...like typing, crocheting smaller things, or reading ;)

:) Hi Monique!

:yes Very nice!!! :clap I like the colors!

Maggie:manyheart

Thanks, I do too.:manyheart Luckily they were all in the same place so I could mix and match before I bought them. :yes

You reminded me how much I used to enjoy making those rugs as gifts. I may have to start making a list for Christmas!:hook

Oh, what a brilliant idea :yes I have been wondering what to do with them and thinking about Christmas presents...I will have to keep that in mind.

Great choice of colors! You've inspired me to try one!

Thank you and good luck! They really are a nice change from 'regular' crochet, while still crocheting, but using an entirely different hook holding and working technique.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Monique and Welcome to Crochetville! :hug

I love your rug! I have been wanting to do something like this forever. I even bought a 'Braided Rug' book, but have never done one... I have crocheted rugs with yarn; I have crocheted with plastic bags; but I haven't crocheted with rags yet. (I have a lot of craft stuff already, though. I think I would drive my husband crazy if I started saving old t-shirts and stuff too...) :P

Anyway your rug turned out fabulous and I love the colors!! You did a great job!! :clap

Tina

Thank you. I don't know that I'd have the patience to cut up a pile of t-shirts...that might be a 'think about for another 4 years' project. Bed linen is bad enough to collect until you get them squared up, folded and put away neatly! (and of course, when you have done that you are hit with inspiration and get it all back out again :s )

Archived