Friend has cancer...Finished with ghan, see picture on first post

Vickietoria

Victoria,

I will be HAPPY to send some 12" squares and a card for your friend! Could you tell us her name so we know who to address the encouragement card to?! Thanks! :yarn:hook

sorry, I'm a newbie at this... I have one square done and am going to try to send it this week but what should I use to send the square? Will a USPS priority mail flat rate envelope do? I've seen the threads about shipping crochet items but there's so many different ways to ship that it just confuses me reading about them all.

You can ship it in a large manilla envelope, or go with Priority. But remember, that Priority is going to run you more money and you don't need to go flat rate for a square. Others may have a different opinion, but I'm sending mine in a manilla envelope.

Veronica

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! This is going to be a beautiful blanket! Everyone has been so generous... I've got 7 squares now, and a few more promised to come soon. Thank you all so much! I usually just use a manilla envelope, and click on the cheapest option when I mail things. One square usually costs I think something like $.89 to mail.

Hi everyone! Here is an update on what Linda is up to. I have never had a friend/family/loved one with cancer, so I had no idea about her treatment. This sounds like it's going to be long, so I know she'll be comforted by all the lovely squares everyone sent in!! It's going to make a nice blanket for her "blues." Thank you for all pitching in! If someone is planning to make one, or it is in the mail (if I haven't thanked you for it, I haven't gotten it yet) please let me know. Otherwise, I'll start putting it together, and add a few more (I want it to be bigger than a lapghan). Thank you again for everything!!!

From Linda: (who has no idea about the blanket yet, I love giving people surprises!)

Hi Victoria! I'm OK. Yes it's been 3 weeks. I'm healing up pretty good. I'm weak and sickly though and supposed to get worse before it gets better. I'm not allowed to go back to work until after my radiation treatment. They aren't sure when it will be time for that, I have to have my thyroid hormone levels completely depleted before they do it. I get my blood tested every week for that and to watch my calcium and magnesium levels. I'm a little unsteady on my feet and I get real tired real easy. I will have to go back into the hospital for three days in complete isolation for the radiation. I will SWALLOW IT in pill form. I will recieve it through a window in the room in a lead box and I won't be able to touch it with my hands. They say every thing in the room will have to be thrown away, even the clothes I wear into it. Every thing will be covered with red plastic marked nuclear waste and I will have to pass a giger counter test before they will let me out. If one teartouches some one else their thyroid will be disintegrated as well. I will be in isolation for two weeks at home plastic forks plates, no hugging touching kissing etc. and I can't sit or stand with my chest facing a child for two weeks. I will send Blue [her dog] to Tommy's parents for the two weeks I will be doing this phase. They say it is perfectly safe for me. The only thing radioactive iodine does to the human body is kill thyroid cells. The whole purpose is to kill anything that may be left of my thyroid that may still be in there. Did you know your thyroid can grow back? We sure don't one to grow back with cancer in it.

Wow, that's very interesting. I had no idea about that sort of treatment! Bless her heart! Are you still collecting squares? I just found this thread. I'd love to send one or two to be included in the comfort blanket. I'll put lots of love & prayers into it, too! :yes

Oh yes, feel free to send in a square or two! I'm hoping to make it a little bigger than the usual 12 square lapghan, so yes, I would love to have a couple more! Just any blue you have Red Heart would be great. Thank you so much!!

Victoria

Shelle,

Thank you for your square! It's beautiful! :) I received it today, wow that was fast! Yes, I will definately post a picture of the blanket, though I don't know if I'll get a picture of her or not.

Thanks again for your kindness!

Victoria

Hi Vickietoria

Sorry to hear about your friend my dad has prostrate cancer last year - thank God he's now all clear following radiation treatment.

I'm from U.K & don't get that type of yarn, is there anything else I can do for you?

Would it be ok for me to send a card?

Oh how sweet! It would be very nice of you to send a card if you would like. I don't know if she'd like me to post her address, so just send it to me, and I'll hand deliver it to her. That would be just wonderful! Thank you!

Victoria

Victoria, I don't know if you checked your PM's or not but, I sent out two squares in Thursday evenings mail (8-17) so they should be there some time early this week coming. Please let me know when they arrive.

Froggy, I will let you know, but I haven't received them just yet. Thank you so much!!

Victoria

edited:

Froggy, I received them in the mail today just a couple hours after I origionally posted. Thanks so much, they're beautiful!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. I just finished this afghan, and I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture. I took a picture with my camera, but it turned out dark. Just know it's not quite that dark in real life. The "green" is really a beautiful teal color just to give you an idea. I think it turned out really beautiful! I'm sorry it took me so long to finish it; I wanted to make sure I had them all before I started putting it together. Thank you to all who sent in squares and cards! I will give this to her this weekend.

Victoria

PS

I just tried to post the picture, but it says I have to have a website that it's on??? Can anyone help? Thanks!

Archived