Friend has cancer...Finished with ghan, see picture on first post

Vickietoria

2003_0101Lindasblanket0001.jpgHi everyone! A friend of mine had surgery today to remove some growths (nodules?) off her thyroid. The doctor told her (before surgery) that they were probably not cancerous, and that only a fraction of the people with this do have cancer. The doctor said he wouldn't even worry about having the surgery, but if she wanted to she could. Well, she did, and they tested it, and it is cancer. She is not the kind of person to complain, and is very positive sounding to me on the phone (she's still in the hospital recovering), but I know she's scared to death. Who wouldn't be? She's not having chemotherapy, but I can't remember what it's called that she's going to have. She's such a sweet lady! She is a teacher's aid working with kids who are deaf and hard of hearing. She worked with me when I was a teacher, and she is just such a giving happy person!

So, I was trying to think of something that would make her happy. I thought about making a blanket for her all myself, but I think she would be truly touched if a few of you were kind enough to make a 12" square (any pattern, any size hook) for her to show that others care, and are thinking of her too. I've never done one of these before, and I hope that I'm not too particular about the guidelines for the squares, but if it could be Red Heart please, shades of blue, that would be wonderful. If you want two colors (2 blues are fine too!), please use "soft white" too with it, so all the whites are the same. You don't have to use white though, just another option if you want to use white. Verigated blues would be fine, as long as you have a solid blue with it. Also, if you could please send some kind of card or note with your name and address (and a note of encouragement if you like) for her to send thank you notes to. It's too soon to know how bad it is, or how spread the cancer is, but it's scary anyway. She is just such a sweet lady, I wish you could all meet her! Thank you so much for your help!!

Thank you and God bless each of you!!

Edited:http://www.flickr.com/photos/16484238@N00/248704159/?#comment72157594293220345

Hi! It's finished! Here is a picture of the blanket, even though it looks dark b/c of the camera. Thanks again to everyone who helped so much!!

oh and you should be ok with main stays from wal mart they're made by red heart

You would think that, but I made an American Flag afghan with it once... I used red and blue from Red Heart, and white from mainstays, and the white turned pink when I washed it. I've never had a problem with white becoming another color in the wash before, so I stay away from Mainstays now. Just my preference. Maybe I'm too picky? They're just a little cheaper than Red Heart (in my Wal-Marts) but I'm willing to pay a few cents more for Red Heart. I hope no one else has had this problem with Mainstays, because it really stinks to have something that you've worked so hard for turn another color just because of the yarn! :eek

Thank you all for replying to my square request so fast! I can't wait to see the squares and see the afghan put together!

Victoria

Thank you everyone for volunteering to make squares! It really means a lot to me that you would take some time and yarn to help my friend get through this tough time. I haven't received any in the mail yet, but I will post to let you know when I get them. Thank you all so much!

Victoria

I'm sure glad someone posted to this, because I remember agreeing to make a square, but then could NOT find the original post. I'll get busy on it. Wanted you to know I haven't forgotten, but being relatively new, I got lost!!!

Sorry

Hi Victoria, is it too late to make one? Do you need anymore? I wouldn't mind making one and I live in Austin so it shouldn't take too long to get there after I make it. Just fyi, I'll be making it out of RH super saver light blue.

My mom was going to the post office a week ago so I gave your package to her to mail for me. I am a little worried that she didn't do it since you haven't gotten it yet. I will check with her.

Update: I checked with her and she said she mailed it two days ago. Hopefully you get it soon. :)

Archived