steel hooks that don't really hook

Squarah

I've been trying my hand at some thread crochet projects, but I have a problem. The steel hook I have seems to have a right angle at the end instead of an actual curled hook. Consequently the thread slips off incessantly. Can anyone recommend me a brand of steel hooks that has a well defined hook at the end? I don't see how anyone could possibly crochet if they can't hook onto the fiber! :think

I use Boye hooks and find the Susan Bates frustrating to work with. That is just me though. For every hook style is great to the right person and style of crochet. It all a matter of individual preferences. It is just a matter of finding the right hook for you. You don't state which brand you have been using. That might help people give you alternatives.

I use Boye hooks and find the Susan Bates frustrating to work with. That is just me though. For every hook style is great to the right person and style of crochet. It all a matter of individual preferences. It is just a matter of finding the right hook for you. You don't state which brand you have been using. That might help people give you alternatives.

That's exactly why I didn't name the brand, because it might work really well for some people--just not for me. I appreciate any suggestions! ;)

I find that two hooks of the same make and size will be slightly different, or if from different eras, then can differ greatly. Sometimes I can improve them by cleaning, filing, sanding, and/or waxing. I do use different models of hooks for different fibers, thicknesses, etc. Sometimes just changing the size helps a lot.

Maybe some others will have more to say.

I'm with Katchkan here...I am a big Boye steel hook (or any of their hooks) fan and really struggle with Susan Bates...but everyone is different.

I too am a Boye fan, and I agree that it is mostly just a matter of personal preference. But also, I find that your grip (or how you hold your hook) has a lot to do with which hooks are easier to use (especially when it comes to thread work). Personally, I use a knife grip/hold instead of grasping the hook like a pencil, and I think that is a big part of why i prefer Boyes- the thread doesnt slip off the hook quite as easily as it does with Bates.

• 3 weeks later...

I use both the Boye and Susan Bates steel hooks. I find that the problem is not so much the brand of hooks, but whether or not the crochet hook gets twisted so that the thread slips off before completing the stitch.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my advice is to play around, try out what hooks you can, and see what works for you. The Bates/Boyle debate is a never ending one. (Personally it's vintage Lee Wards hooks for me. ;))

I find that two hooks of the same make and size will be slightly different, or if from different eras, then can differ greatly. Sometimes I can improve them by cleaning, filing, sanding, and/or waxing. I do use different models of hooks for different fibers, thicknesses, etc. Sometimes just changing the size helps a lot.

Maybe some others will have more to say.

What Gran said, only you might hold the hook firmly against an anvil, with the unhooky point up and whack it with a 3 lb hammer to bend the thing back down. And if you squarsh it...... well you could always use the results as a fondu stick.

(hehe)

Seriously, you might try to bend the hook part back. Sounds like it got caught on something hard and bent backwards a bit. And a light tap might be just what works. .... or not.

Archived