Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along from knit.1 mag

Hello everyone,

I hope people are still working on the shawl! I am working on the mesh that connects everything together. I admit it is getting to be a bit tedious. I am obsessing about making a chart showing how to scatter the butterflies. If only I can keep going, I will finish this thing soon! Some of the butterflies seem a bit cock-eyed despite the fact that I blocked them here and there (no pins, just water). It is the lower wing towards the inside that seems to curl a bit......

I hope things work out, as I am tired of it!

Zuzu

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello everyone' date='

I hope people are still working on the shawl! I am working on the mesh that connects everything together. I admit it is getting to be a bit tedious. I am obsessing about making a chart showing how to scatter the butterflies. If only I can keep going, I will finish this thing soon! Some of the butterflies seem a bit cock-eyed despite the fact that I blocked them here and there (no pins, just water). It is the lower wing towards the inside that seems to curl a bit......

I hope things work out, as I am tired of it!

Zuzu[/quote']

Hang in there, Zuzu! The end is near:lol ! Yes, a lot of us are still working (or not working) on this project. I've only made 12 butterflies myself but I've been putting the mesh on as I go. I was just looking at the connecting directions last night and kind of :think wondering how all that would work out... But I'm sure it will come together just fine. I thought I'd hook my 12 butterflies together so I could have a feeling of accomplishment:yes

Hang in there, Zuzu! The end is near:lol ! Yes, a lot of us are still working (or not working) on this project. I've only made 12 butterflies myself but I've been putting the mesh on as I go. I was just looking at the connecting directions last night and kind of :think wondering how all that would work out... But I'm sure it will come together just fine. I thought I'd hook my 12 butterflies together so I could have a feeling of accomplishment:yes

:lol I actually did this on a ghan I was piecing together... Don't do it... it will stay that way for a long time. It took me three years to get it done... and it was basically just stitching them together w/ a reverse sc. Maybe it was just me... I don't know!!! :blush

HI!

I think you will have to sew the motifs together, or sc them, as the patt has them put together as you do the 7th row of the mesh. I am still putting them together, based upon the chart I drew to arrange them prettily (and I can't really tell by the chart what will look best) . I have 4 together starting at the bottom point.

I still have to figure out an edging, but that will have to wait.:cat

It's getting a little chilly here, and I am looking forward to using this shawl!

Zuzu

Is anyone still working on the shawl?

I am still working on putting the squares together. Even though it is getting tedious, I am determined to complete it! I tell myself how many I have to do at a time to be finished by a particular date, but then I go days without wanting to face it. I don't like how it seems to be bunching at places, but maybe it will all work out when it is all together.

Zuzu

I think quite a few people are on "hiatus" as the holidays approach, but yes, there are many still working on the shawl... actually I've only seen picture proof:D of one completed shawl (besides Noreen's, of course) but there have been many pretty butterflies! Hopefully we'll get some more hookers back on board with posting pics of their progress soon;)

I'm in the states for another 2 weeks and then will be back in Germany and THEN I'll start working in earnest on this pattern...

• 3 weeks later...

:party:cat Hello everyone!

Guess what...............I wore the shawl to Thanksgiving, and everyone liked it!! (finished it the night before!!)

:artist

I didn't do the fringe, as I had decided not to. I crocheted the edging (with the 4 strands) all around, and played with doing 2 rows (too heavy) and picots (too heavy). I toyed with the idea of using 2 strands, or one, but in the end I left it. I was originally planning to put small flowers all around, but that may or may not happen........

This is indeed a MAJOR TASK .........and I can't believe I did it, as I have not done much for a long time. Courage to you all!

I don't know what to do next......I "need" another shawl----one that is going to be quicker.

now what??? ( I have enjoyed this group)

Zuzu :cat

Oh, I can't wait to see your finished shawl!!!!! How wonderful that you finished it in time for Thanksgiving!:cheer

I am VERY close:yay - worked on it a LOT during our Thanksgiving trip to Cambria since it was just hubby and I there... very peaceful looking out at the ocean while crocheting and I will always think of the peacefulness of that trip when I view my shawl! I have all small butterflies finished and connected, all large butterflies done and all but six connected. Of those six I have finished the mesh on three, so that's where I'm at... so close...

....but, a dear friend of my daughter's just lost her grandma and I'm making her a comfortghan so the Buttefly Shawl will have to wait for a bit:yes !

Thank you for the congratulations Fidgement and Paulette!!!!!

It was actually hard to believe as I neared the end. You are there, Paulette!

I tried to post earlier, but I inadvertantly clicked 'preview post' and then I clicked on the letter when I saw an error, and it disappeared. :think

I'm looking on the site, Fidgement, and thank you . I haven't found the shawl, but I'll look again. I actually have TONS of books, patterns.......but it is not enough!!!!!!!

Paulette, that is so sweet of you to comfort a little girl in her grief. :manyheart

Well.........I don't have a digital camera. I have been trying to learn about features so that I know what to look for, but so far, nothing. I have more to learn about them. My neighbor, who photographed my foster kittens, moved away.

How wonderful to take a holiday , Paulette! I live by the ocean , but I don't go there often. I think you are nearby.

thank you both for the good words! I know you will finish soon, too! (isn't this a major task??:D )

:catZuzu

Cambria, California, was such a lovely place and the room was beautiful... I bring it up on this thread because I came very close to finishing the shawl while looking through the beautiful view out our window early in the morning while Hubby slept... notice to the left of this first picture is my thread and instructions from my crocheting...cambria048.jpg

view out the window.... very hard to concentrate on crocheting with all this beauty going on....

cambria034.jpg

where we stayed....:eek NOT REALLY - I just love decrepit barns!

FOR SALE: California fixer-upper, only $850,000 j/k

cambria015.jpg

my MAJOR score from the Local Yarn Shop... Collinette, hand-dyed silk.... and may I say, the picture just does not do it justice!

cambria053.jpg

cambria052.jpg

So I just finished putting the mesh around the last six butterflies and all the other ones are already attached, so it WILL be finished tomorrow! :cheer

I was really hoping to finish it in Cambria and get a beautiful picture out on the beach, but perhaps I'll get a lovely pic in our garden or maybe down at the local beach...

Thanks for looking!:hug

I just saw a couple of copies of the knit1 magazine with the butterfly shawl pattern at my LYS about a week ago. If anyone would like a copy and the store still has it, I can send it for cost (magazine price $5.99 plus actual shipping; no extra handling charge).

But then again, this page has the magazine for only $4.00 plus shipping ($3.00 for media mail shipping), so it's probably cheaper and quicker to go that route... It's "The Art Issue" that has the pattern (Thanks Paulette for pointing out...see her post below for corrections to the pattern also), with a lady with a yellow cardigan sweater and bright yellow hair, holding up a similarly bright yellow lemon on the front cover.

I have not given up on this project. HOWEVER, I am crocheting frantically to finish a couple of large items before Christmas, which, is like what everyone else is doing this time of the year...I think.

Paulette, Cambria looks soooo beautiful...I want to go visit California again really badly. My BF and I did the PCH from SF to LA once (absolutely spectacular!), and we also fell in love with La Jolla Cove at another time we went to visit a friend in SD. Yes, there are some pretty beaches in Long Island, too, but the beautiful-coastline-to-people ratio is so much higher in CA and I find the people much more relaxed and friendly on the West Coast. In LI, we have to pay to park anywhere near the water, it's only pleasant during summer, and it gets ridiculously crowded. :( No wonder Long Islanders are much crankier.

LaceShawlsButterflyCutoutqs.jpg

Riohnna, Did you mean a picture of Noreen's shawl from the knit.1 magazine or a picture of one that someone else had finished? This is a picture of Noreen modeling her shawl amongst the birch trees and I think it's spectacular... it was previously posted on her site...

That's a great link to the magazine given above and you want the one titled "The Art Issue"... you'll also need a correction for the smaller butterfly that is available from the knit.1 site.... the shawl consists of 21 large butterflies and I think seven small ones...

DONE!!!

FINI!!!

Will take pictures tomorrow... just put the last of the fringe on at 10:30... I couldn't find that last ball of thread and almost had to head to Michael's at 9:30:eek ... but I found it in the last place I looked:hook

:cheer:woo:yay:clap

Paulette,

Congratulations, it is beautiful!!!!!:jumpyay:U:fame:dance

You are a great example for all of us (namely me, lol) and I can't wait to hear how many requests you get from others to make them one, lol!

Great job and thanks for sharing!:cheer :cheer

Thank you all so much! It feels so good to finish something:D ~ I seem to be starter of many, finisher of few, so it is nice to be on "the other end" of a project... putting in the last stitches instead of the first:hook .

Hopefully after the holidays we'll be able to see some more of these magical shawls appear in time for spring (butterflies = spring!). I know I definitely want to do another one in a blue/green color and Ah Leah wants a bedspread cover thingy... she wanted it for Christmas, but Christmas is so darn cold in Virginia, I think I should aim for her birthday in June:devil

Archived