thread crochet

Auntcut

Question

I have been crocheting for 10 + years and I still can't get the hang of thread crochet. It just seems that the thread is just so thin and hard to work with. There are soooooo many dolies out there that I want so much to make buttttttttttt.........so my question is....What is the thickest thread that you can get? I don't understand the numbers. :think Thanks for your help. much appreciated.:manyheart

7 answers to this question

The lower the number the thicker the thread. There is size 3, but it is kind of for summertops type things. Bedspread weight is a 10, which I think tends to be the norm. It does take getting used to, holding the smaller hook and stuff, but once you get the hang, you'll be hooked! :lol

The thickest thread you can get is size 3 thread, About the thickness of a fine yarn. Dmc Senso is popular. I have never used so don't know how well it works up. Hope this helps. The larger your thread the larger your doily. I wouldn't pick a really large pattern.

I just worked with the Senso thread (size 3) for the first time last week and really liked it -- I was making a water bottle holder, not a doily, but having made doilies in the past with size 10 thread, I think using the size 3 would be a great way to start learning how to work with thread. It was a lot easier to work with than the 10. It comes in some beautiful colors, too!

I'm thinking of seeing what happens if I use the size 3 with one of my smaller doily patterns. It should just come out bigger, right?:think ... well, I'll let you know!

Krista

:cat

I'm brandy new to working with thread, also. I did my first doily using a size 3 Senso (I got the cotton/microfiber blend), and I loved it! It's so soft, and was very easy to work with. It took some getting used to, because a size 3 thread is still small, and I'm used to working with baby yarn.

I then decided to just go for it with size 10 thread, and I've been slowly working on a doily (I've had to frog parts of it several times, because of me messing up my counts). Honestly, it wasn't that difficult to work with, although I have to remind myself to relax my hands. Even the hook isn't that bad. I am curious if anyone knows if you can get the Clover hooks in steel hooks?

I don't know about the Clover hooks but I have a set of steel crochet hooks sz. 00-15 in a green plastic hook case that I bought from Lee Wards when they sold only from catalogues. 1971 (I believe). I love them & wouldn't trade them for anything. They will go to my daughter or grand-daughter as an heir-loom.

Archived