Can you design something a little different...

tlisley

Question

Than the traditional Granny square? I need something very simple, that a blind (recently gone blind) woman can crochet. My grandmother has been crocheting as long as I can remember. She's awesome. Unfortunately through macular degeneration she has lost her sight. She just fought the battle of breast cancer and WON in January after a radical mastectomy at 82 and had her 83rd birthday this month. She's amazing , you guys. I am not experienced enough to come up with something a little bit fun for her to do, she still crochets everyday but is limited to a Granny square, she can't see the stitches, but she can find the last one in the chain to form a circle and crochet into the empty spaces of the chains etc. All she does at this point are the huge Granny square blankets. (You know the ones that are just one continuous granny?) Last time I saw her she said she wished she could do more, but was thankful she could at least do this. It nearly broke my heart. I was just thinking with all the talent here maybe someone could come up with an easy variation, or knows of one already out there that I could show her. And yes, lol, her name is "Granny".

Thanks all :manyheart

12 answers to this question

I don't have any ideas but wanted to say you're so sweet for trying to help your Granny. :hug

Thanks, I just keep thinking what I would feel like if I'd done this for -ahem- 30 plus years, and suddenly I'm limited to a giant granny square...:cry She was a threadie for years... BEAUTIFUL doilies... people actually recognize her work on site because it's that good. Can you imagine? (Well, I'm sure we have folks like that here, but I ain't one of 'em! ;) )

With all the great people here, I'm sure there will be lots of wonderful ideas!

I don't know if this is feasible yet, since you say she lost her sight just recently, but I know Lion Brand offers many of its patterns in braille.(Maybe some other companies do too?) That might be an option if she wants to learn braille.

She sounds like a really brave lady, and she's lucky to have such a caring granddaughter! Hugs for you both. :hug

It seems like shawls and hats worked with V stitches and shells would be easy enough to work with, since you are usually working in the V or between the shells.

I was going to ask if she used to do very complicated patterns, but the answer would be 'yes' if she were a threadie.

I'm sure that with practice, she will be able to do patterns that are more complex and so more satisfying to her. Here is the first one I thought of, it was challenging to me at first when I did it but I quickly learned the repeats of the pattern. I thought of it because you mentioned that she could feel the spaces and knew where to put the stitches. (You don't have to make a poncho out of it, the pattern produces a rectangle and could be used as a throw, or shawl/wrap, which she might enjoy more. I could definitely see how it would get her down to be reduced to making giant granny squares constantly...)

Another idea is to look for patterns that use bulky weight yarn: the last time I worked with it I noticed that I really spent more time feeling where the next stitch was supposed to go rather than just looking.

Something that might help her could be if you read a pattern slowly and carefully onto a tape so she could listen to the directions while she tries to make something. You might even read out the repeats so she doesn't have to rewind and try to find the right part.

These are some ideas for the future, because even if she's not ready for it yet, if she's already crocheting granny squares, she will get better if she has help and opportunity. :hug Good luck.

I was going to ask if she used to do very complicated patterns, but the answer would be 'yes' if she were a threadie.

I'm sure that with practice, she will be able to do patterns that are more complex and so more satisfying to her. Here is the first one I thought of, it was challenging to me at first when I did it but I quickly learned the repeats of the pattern. I thought of it because you mentioned that she could feel the spaces and knew where to put the stitches. (You don't have to make a poncho out of it, the pattern produces a rectangle and could be used as a throw, or shawl/wrap, which she might enjoy more. I could definitely see how it would get her down to be reduced to making giant granny squares constantly...)

Another idea is to look for patterns that use bulky weight yarn: the last time I worked with it I noticed that I really spent more time feeling where the next stitch was supposed to go rather than just looking.

Something that might help her could be if you read a pattern slowly and carefully onto a tape so she could listen to the directions while she tries to make something. You might even read out the repeats so she doesn't have to rewind and try to find the right part.

These are some ideas for the future, because even if she's not ready for it yet, if she's already crocheting granny squares, she will get better if she has help and opportunity. :hug Good luck.

Hmm, I'm sorry I didn't make myself very clear. She can only find that last stitch in a short chain. She can't differentiate the stitches well enough to crochet into a chain itself. Also, as with the Granny Square there are the large spaces made by the chains in between the shells, those she can navigate, not the individual stitches themselves.

Just to make sure I am understanding the situation correctly. Your granny can make a chain circle, then crochet into the circle. She can NOT crochet into individual stitches but only into chain spaces between stitches. She can do all types of stitches still. Please confirm, I have my thinking cap on (no guarantees) but am thinking.

Hmm, I'm sorry I didn't make myself very clear. She can only find that last stitch in a short chain. She can't differentiate the stitches well enough to crochet into a chain itself. Also, as with the Granny Square there are the large spaces made by the chains in between the shells, those she can navigate, not the individual stitches themselves.

The pattern I was referring to has you make chain loops (you *do* have to do some single crocheting, I believe) and then in the next row you sc into the loops, not an individual chain stitch. I got the difference. However, now that you point it out, you do have to crochet into the chain to get started. *sigh*

Can she make a single crochet square if someone does the first row for her? She could make baby blankets...:( Sorry, I haven't got much else...

I'm almost blind and through feel, I can find the stitches. It will take her some adjustment and perhaps using worsted weight yarn and an H or I hook. At first it will be hard, but after she gets used to the feel of a stitch, she will do it with ease. I find that a double crochet is the easiest stitch to feel where the stitch will go. I usually don't look much at my crocheting when I am working on a the body of the pattern. I tend to focus more on the shaping and finishing. It would help her if someone could crochet her a square of dc in the worsted weight so she could feel it and even pull it out to feel each stage of the stitch and what the end of a row feels like.

Denise

Just to make sure I am understanding the situation correctly. Your granny can make a chain circle, then crochet into the circle. She can NOT crochet into individual stitches but only into chain spaces between stitches. She can do all types of stitches still. Please confirm, I have my thinking cap on (no guarantees) but am thinking.

Yes, you have it exactly right. Thank you for giving it a go. :hug

I am so moved by everyones responses here! :ghug

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions, ideas and support. Believe me I am taking notes! When I go to visit her this summer (She's in KY I'm in MI, I am going to see if she has the patience for me to try to teach her! LOL, I got nothing to teach her, but I could be her eyes for the feeling part.

This place really is a neat place to be. I'm so overwhelmed I'm actually tearing up, that really doesn't happen to me much. I so appreciate all the care and tips and effort. Y'all ROCK!:yes:2rock

:cheer My mum was making Granny (Peggy) squares until she was 87, but she had been effected by a stroke.

Her problem was, she could not start a square because she could not hold such a small piece of crochet.

To solve her problem, I started the squares and did one more row so she could pick up a piece and join in a new colour and carry on.

Sadly, she had another small stroke and her right hand stopped working so she could not hold the hook at all so she had to stop.

I know she missed it because every now and then, she tries to find the edge of her blankets as if she is looking for her place.

She is not well right now, with Pneumonia so I have been spending extra time with her so I take my crochet or knitting with me. If I have to pull anything back she says, "You made a mistake." She can still tell what I am up to. She was 90 in April.

I am not being much help fro you Grandmother, except that maybe you could start some different centres that she can finish with the Granny Stitch.

She would love the feel of the different centres, especially if they were lumpy or ridged.

I must say, I have practiced crocheting in the dark, but i am sure it would be totally different being blind.

Tell your Grandma she has my sincerest admiration for keeping going. Hope I can still be doing it when I am that age.

have fun.

Colleen.

Archived