Frogging? Is that what I mean?

Lefthook

How many times have you unraveled a project? It seems like upward of two hundred on my current project, a simple doily (one of those "My First Doily" things). (frogged? I think that's what that means. Why isn't there a crochet vocabulary on this board? Newbies like me are intimidated by "in" lingo.) Or is this all just me? :thair

I actually admire you for that - I tend to have a little hissy fit and chuck it into a corner, never to be touched again!

And here's a thread that'll help you out!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8268

I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time at all, I didn't know any of the jargon when I first came here, and now my family is always asking me what I mean.

They love the word frogging though - mum thinks she would have been more keen to rip down and start again, back when she knitted, if it had been called frogging :frog!

• 3 weeks later...

:grumpy I've lost track at how many times I've had to rip and re-rip something out just to get it right. Only on a few occassions have I let something "slide" when it would not throw the count off, but usually, I'm such a perfectionist that I'll rip it out regardless--sometimes the entire project back to the beginning. I've been know to be nearly finished and dislike it so much I start over.

Of course, then there are the times when I'd rather NOT have to rip it out and must anyway...or there'll be hell to pay...or is it hell toupee? :bang {puns, I love 'em}

I suppose it depends on the crocheter as to whether you rip, shred, spindle or otherwise ignore and go on. I take pride in my crochet craft and usually give away my work, so I want it to best represent my skill--if it's for me, I'll not be so picky.

P. S. I hear you re: "lingo"...I tend to shy away from buzzy words and jargon, and it took me a while before I understood the "frog" thing, also. I just say "rip", "tear", "shred", "re-do" and the like OR I make up my own just for grins (like "block and tackle" for blocking a project). It keeps me amused and who knows, it might even amuse others.

Getting ready to do some frogging today. Yup. Woke up and said, It's a beautiful day - a good day to frog ALL THE WORK I DID LAST NIGHT ON THE CAPE I'M MAKING:irk ... I realized somewhere between watching TV, talking to the kids and crocheting that an area that should be 20 rows of 58 double crochets had somehow 'grown' to 72... a gradual thing, you don't really notice it until you set it down.

Yup. It's called frogging.:grumpy Rip it. Rip it.:sigh

I've frogged a lot. Not by choice usually because i'm 2 rows past where i made a mistake and have to go back a fix it. The last thing i frogged was a blanket I was making for myself. It was just not working right and looking uglier and uglier with every row :yell:bang:yell so I put it out of it's misery and frogged 2 balls worth of yarn. but it will now go on to be someting that i can be proud of :hook

My mother ( a knitter who wants to learn how to crochet) had never heard of the term "frogging" until I told her. She thought it was so funny that she just gave me a cute little plastic frog to keep next to me when I am working on projects. She has one herself.

Yeah we all do it I was finishing up a doily yesterday supposed to be Scing and had somehow started trcing when I was more than half done. I had done trc for most of the pattern and somehow my mind went right back to it when I looked up at the TV. Darlene

I find with frogging, that the first tug is the hardest. It takes all my strength to just give in and start undoing the mistakes. After that, it's kind of rewarding to get a fresh start. I'm with you on the lingo. When I first started reading crochet blogs, I had absolutely no idea what half the people were talking about. Crochet can be it's own language. Just ask my husband. He just smiles and nods whenever I talk about crochet, and I know he doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Amy

Frogging happens to be one of my favorite crochet terms. My Hubby has adopted it as well. Now he will come home from work and ask if I had any frogs today. lol...He thinks he so cute...

Archived