Favourite tip?

Hello all! What is your favourite tip to the new generation of crocheters? You know like putting hand lotion on the hook so it will glide easier through the yarn, or using talc/ anti perspirant on your hands if they sweat a lot, how do you keep all the yarns from tangeling if using two or more colours at once? And most important..... NEVER- NEVER throw away left over yarn! It will make the best crazy quilt afghan you ever saw....one that would cost you a fortune to make if you had to buy all the colours seperatly.You know.....stuff like that!:hook

I would say, if you have an idea, don't be afraid to experiment! There is no rule that says you must stick to the pattern. Be creative!:idea

One I learned from some forgotten crochet magazine. When I'm working on a project I take my yarn everywhere with me and also because I have spoiled cats I'm occassionally afraid the finished project won't smell fresh. Also some of the yarn you buy doesn't have a praticularly yummy smell to it. I used to throw the finished project in the dryer with a dryer sheet but the mag said to throw a dryer sheet in the bag with the yarn you are using and it will take any odor out. I've tried it a couple of times and it works. What also works is to take a tall kitchen garbage bag, put the yarn you are using in there, put it in your carrying bag and keep the dang cats away from the yarn.

Whew! Alot of yakking to say "Put a dryer sheet in with your project yarn ".:lol

What also works is to take a tall kitchen garbage bag, put the yarn you are using in there, put it in your carrying bag and keep the dang cats away from the yarn. :lol

What I like to do is put the yarn that I'm using for my current project in a zip-lock bag. I then put the zip-lock bag in a tote bag. I use another zip-lock to put the completed portion of my project in, like granny squares. I may have several ziplocks each with a different project all in one tote. I find that the yarn stays cleaner and less likely to have cat hair all over it.

Using a kitchen trash bag sounds like a neat idea to me, especially once I begin to make bigger projects. Thanks.:)

Desireé

One of my little peeves....is trying to put worsted weight yarn through a yarn needle to weave the ends in......Soooooo I use a small paper clip (not the teeny weenie ones) and put the yarn through that....and use that paper clip as my threading device to put the yarn through the needle without it fuzzing or separating....works like a charm for me. How's that for a tip?

Daisy :hook

One of my little peeves....is trying to put worsted weight yarn through a yarn needle to weave the ends in......Soooooo I use a small paper clip and put the yarn through that....and use that paper clip as my threading device to put the yarn through the needle without it fuzzing or separating....works like a charm for me. How's that for a tip?

Daisy :hook

Thanks for the tip Daisy! That sure will save me time and frustration in the future! :lol

Diva.....you are most welcome. I hate threading yarn needles with WW yarn. Do we have a special posting section for tips of the day??:hook

Daisy.

I always had problems with my projects "growing" as I crocheted, until I learned this tip from crochetville: Use a hook one size larger on the foundation chain only, then the rest of the rows will be straight and beautiful!

Have you ever tried using what's called a "big eye" needle like they use for beading? I never have trouble with regular needles cause I'm used to threading size 15 beading needles, but the big eye ones are all eye. its split from stem to stern and you just open it and run the thread through.

• 2 months later...

Archived