Recycled plastic bags Eco-tote

Becks

I have wanted to make something from these plastic shopping bags that you get every time you go shopping. So, I finally saved up enough to make a tote bag.

I am calling this an Eco-tote because it is recycled bags and, therefore, ecological-friendly. (Images are clickable for a larger view).

th_eco-tote013.jpgth_eco-tote014.jpg I crocheted a plastic flower "button" with which the loop from the other side can be pulled over to close the bag.

Here's the link to a web page where I have put a step-by-step explaination on how to make this tote. (Beginning with how to prepare the bags into a crochet-able form). :lol

http://www.geocities.com/quibblerscribbler/Recycled_plastic_bag.html

It's funny how you start to notice things like which stores have nice colors of bags to use. Best Buy has yellow ones but they are pretty small and you can't get much from them. It would be nice if Walmart would go back to those blue bags. Kohl's had big gray ones so I made one of the stripes using it.

The bag is very sturdy and will probably last longer than I do. :lol

Hope you enjoy the pattern. Let me know if I got something wrong in it. I do babble on so......:P

Thanks for that great pattern along with the tutorial, Becks. I've been saving bags for a while now in anticipation of making a few of these. It looks like I might have to ask my sister to pitch in because my "bag stash" isn't growing too quickly. Do you have any idea how many it took?:think

Oh! I forgot to add the hook size!!!! :P:blush

I used a plastic P sized hook. It was the largest I had. Thanks, Lady_of_Roses! I'm going to add that info to the link right after this!

And as for your question, Roli, gosh, I don't know. I had to stop and rifle through every closet and cupboard to keep making more plastic yarn balls with which to use. (I thought I had made enough the first three softball-sized yarn balls, HA! :P It was more like triple that...... Quadruple?...... Quintuple? LOL!!!!:lol )

Now, I've seen some sites where they used bread wrappers. I'll bet this is a lot more supple and you could use a smaller hook and cut the plastic rings to a smaller width, (like 1 inch instead of 1 and 1/2 inches like mine). Your bag would probably be smaller, more flexible/supple, but you'd still need a ton of the bags.

It may not be as strong, though. I don't know.

Has anyone here used bread wrappers?

I love it!! I made one for myself several years ago and I am STILL using it! They soften with age and what makes them so great is that they are washable (but you have to let them air dry of course lol)

I get so many compliments on mine.

Tammy:hook

Wow! I have been wanting to make something from plastic bags, I just have to get around to doing it!

Actually, some Wal-Marts still use blue bags! We have 3 Wal-Marts in Ocala and 2 of them use white bags and the new one that just opened last year still uses blue! Weird, huh?

BTW, Dollar General uses yellow bags and they are about the same size as Wal-Marts bags.

That is really great. I have been saving up my bags to make one after someone brought it to my attention. At the time I used strips of material to crochet a stuffed rabbit and Easter basket for Easter. I dont think I have enough bags yet...:eek I think I may need to save another year or so before I have enough.:hook

I've been thinking about making one for about a year now. I had almost enough bags saved and some "thoughtful" person in our house cleaned and through them away! I think I'll start saving them again and make the balls as I save. Thanks again everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

Archived