Crochet -a- Quilt

JulieKay

Dazy -- that's great about the job! :clap I wish that I had a green thumb - I just can't seem to keep plants alive. All of the ones that I bring into my apartment die, so either it's me or it's the apartment, I'm not sure. Do you have any suggestions on good, easy to take care of houseplants? I would love to have some greenery and flowers in my place, but just don't know what to do. :think

Patricia -- You can do it! Just one motif at a time and you'll have it finished in no time. :cheer

That's a great idea to teach my friend to crochet, but I don't think it would work out. When I was telling him about my love for crochet the other night, he explained that he doesn't have patience to do crafts like that himself.

I'm looking forward to tonight - relaxing, making more diamonds and watching Survivor.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, man!! i haven't worked so hard in WAY too long. :out i think my enthusiasm got the best of me today. i hope i can get out of bed in the morning.:lol crocheting is gonna have to take a back seat for a few days. i have to work for the next 4 days. i may trade off on my projects and take a different one each day to do at lunch. or maybe tomorrow night i'll be able to stay awake long enough to work on it. and i'm to the joining part.:oops

bookchick, you might try a philodendron or a peace lily. both are pretty forgiving. water them once a week or so and they aren't too picky about light. and if you forget to water them, they droop and remind you. just don't want to keep them too wet. cactus are really goof-proof, too. and you can find some that don't have thorns.

everybody is doing great. keep up the good work. :cheer :cheer

i've got this evening to myself and i'm off work tomorrow. i'm gonna get some joining done if it's the last thing i do.:P

Hi, Dazy, hope you got as much done as you wanted to!

sigh. I didn't get the star done for my friends in time, but another friend is traveling up to see them in late June, so promised to give it to them then. I did get to see the baby - Charis is 14lb at 3 months! and Meg loved the blanket; partially complete, loose ends, and all. I have about 22 whole diamonds and 18 half diamonds to complete plus the border. My dh kindly pointed out how as a circular object grows, the circumference gets much bigger. Uh huh. Like I needed that particular form of encouragement.:lol

good morning, all!!

thanks, patricia. i did get about half of a round joined before i started nodding off in my chair. yesterday i got 1 row done on my shrug for the shrug along. i'm getting there slowly, but surely.

tell hubby if he wants to help, grab a hook.:lol it sounds like the little baby is growing fast. you better hurry or you'll have to add another round to the afghan.

keep it up, you're doing great!!:cheer

i got another round done on my quiltghan. now i've done all of the first rounds of each color and i get to start on the second rounds. how's everybody else doing?

off to work, catch you all later. keep hooking!! :cheer :cheer

Theresa, the optical illusion effect is fantastic! even when I try to see the pattern as patches of different color in 2-D, I can only maintain that view a second before my eyes revert to seeing the shadowed windows in 3-D. Incredibly well done! Your color matching for shadowed versus lit window frame patches is just perfect :clap:applause:woo:nworthy

Got a few more diamonds done on my prairie star - my crocheting time is usually limited to just before bedtime, so I usually get around 4 diamonds done each day.

But I went yarn shopping because ACMoore has their Lion brand mill ends (read: 1 lb of Homespun) for 3.77. Stocked up! and showed my WIP to my buddies at the store. I shop there so much that they know me pretty well.... I had to show 'em that I do more with yarn than just cart it out to the van! Sandy and Denise loved it. And I found that Red Heart had the tumbling blocks version of this Prairie Star pattern (same diamond motif and joining, just different arrangement of diamonds) in the free pattern leaflets section! I forget the pattern code, but I'm going to search for it to see if it's available on the 'net. Ought to be; the free patterns at LYS usually are. It might be the tumbling blocks link earlier in this thread, but I don't think so. (Edit: Yes, Theresa is right in the post below; Purplekitty does have the pattern I saw, and it is the same one listed in the first post of this thread, towards the bottom, labeled as a diamond baby afghan.)

Will edit later to update tumbling blocks pattern info.

Keep on hookin'! (we need one of those old truckin' pics modified for crocheters....)

Patricia Isn't that optical illusion effect cool? I wish I could take credit for the color combo, but I just followed what was listed in the pattern. Here is a link for the blocks you might be looking for:

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/free-patterns/Baby-Blocks-LW1299.pdf

If this isn't the right one, at least you'll have a choice! This is definetly going into my list of things to do!

Theresa, that is so cool!!

hey, patricia. don't you just love building on the stash? i've been such a good girl. i haven't bought yarn in almost 2 weeks. mostly because i've not gotten much crocheting done this week. i've got sunday off and hubby is gonna be gone for the day. sooooo, i'm gonna plop in my chair and crochet. unless its nice outside. in which case, i'm gonna plop in the swing in the back yard and crochet. :hook

gotta go unload a truckload of annual flowers and grasses. catch you all later. :cheer:yarn:cheer

Uh, I bought more yarn yesterday. Lion Brand Mill ends (aka homespun). Lots. still in van; haven't smuggled it inside yet. I'm justifying it by saying I'll return the Homespun skeins I got at the regular price (banded ones, with lot numbers). Yeah, right :rofl

Oooh, oooh, road trip to Dazy's! The swing in the backyard sounds just delightful, crochet a few rounds for me! :manyheart:c9:hug

hey, everybody!!:hi i've got a day off work and a DH gone for the day. i finally got a picture took of my quiltghan so far. whatcha think?

572E2DF7-DF3C-544F-421AA92ECAB4BEEB.jpg

countingsts~ get off the fence. you'll fall and tangle your yarn. pick a pattern and join in.:yarn

it's the around the world pattern. although, with all the color combinations and neutral tones, the different rounds don't show up quite as well as most that i've seen. the colors don't pop out at you. but it's coming out just as i'd hoped. i got another half of a round done last night. :hook

Dazy, just beaUtiful! :nworthy :flowers :woo:clap:h5:c9

Do you plan to keep it square, or stop the pattern on the sides at some point and continue the top/bottom to make a rectangle? Your square (rainbow square, I think?) choice is just so excellent - it really demonstrates the unique aspect that crochet can add to quilt block designs. Way to go!

Here is a pic of the attic windows. I have three strips done and put together. 50 more blocks and 5 strips to go!

th_atticwindows8.jpg

That is so incredible! I love the three dimensional illusion. Great job!

Been working a little each day on my babyghan-sized Prairie Star. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, now! Good thing it is a scaled down version, though. I definitely have CADD (Crocheter's Attention Deficit Disorder)! here's my current progress; have filled in one side, working on the last round of whole and half motifs in soft blue. After that, the border, and I'll be done:

PrairieStar22May2CR.jpg

They're not easy to see against the blue background, but the blue half-diamonds to make a straight edge on the right side are attached.

dazy I don't think the colors you've chosen need to pop out at you...they really make a wonderful effect just the way they are!

Patricia that is beautiful..good job!

Andrea J thank you!

thanks for the encouragement. i've not decided yet how i'm going to finish it. i thought about leaving it square and putting it on the bed on the slant so that the points hang down on the sides. but maybe not. :blush i'll fall off that bridge when i get to it.

sherri, thanks for the link to your blog. i'll check it out.:yes:yarn

patricia, your babyghan is really coming together. you don't have much to go. :clap

we may be slow, but we make up for it in excellence.:cheer

Everyone is making such great progress! :cheer:clap They all look beautiful.

Sherri - thanks for the link, lots of interesting information on your site.

I have to admit that I haven't gotten much farther on my PS. Life has been really busy recently and there just hasn't been time to crochet. I got another diamond done last night. Just trying to take it one diamond at a time and before I know it, I'll be done.

I really want to finish this so that I can get started on the Double-wedding ring. Because I have told myself that I can't start that one until I finish the PS.

Archived